Attachment Parenting

Chocolate Toddler Formula?

I saw this in the Food Revolution email: https://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/04/chocolate-baby-formula-from-cradle-to-grave/39626/

Jamie Oliver made a big deal on the show about flavored milk in schools and how it had more sugar than soda. What do you think about chocolate toddler formula?

Re: Chocolate Toddler Formula?

• I think it's PATHETIC!!
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that is pretty bad.  I think processed "food" (edible food-like substances, as Michael Pollan would say) aimed at children is pretty bad in general--and it's not much better when it's aimed at adults.  Stick out tongue
  • Loading the player...
  • just what this country needs - more sugar! 

i have nothing nice to say about formula companies (i am NOT bashing families who feed formulas to their infants, but i am very offended by the "politics" of formula companies).  this just continues a trend...  they don't care about healthy babies.  they care about $$$.  pathetic.

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Toddlers only know about what you give them.

They're not going around thinking, "I wish Mum would give me some milk with some more flavour"

Toddlers just don't need to know about chocolate flavoured milk. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I think it's only a matter of time before you have mamas defending it with "it was the only way I could get my child to drink milk, and chocolate milk is better than no milk" Soon it will be just like picking a brand and you'll be ridiculed for not accepting someones choice to feed their child with whatever works best for their family.
  • I mentioned the weaning to juice comment my DH got this week & it's the same type of thing. I see so many babies & toddlers running around w/ sippy cups full of sweet tea & crap like that too.

It's sad really. Can't toddlers just have milk instead of formula anyway? I don't really get the whole toddler formula thing unless your kid is allergic to cow milk protein & has to have hypoallergenic stuff. Maybe I'm missing something?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagewebMistress0609:

I mentioned the weaning to juice comment my DH got this week & it's the same type of thing. I see so many babies & toddlers running around w/ sippy cups full of sweet tea & crap like that too.

It's sad really. Can't toddlers just have milk instead of formula anyway? I don't really get the whole toddler formula thing unless your kid is allergic to cow milk protein & has to have hypoallergenic stuff. Maybe I'm missing something?

Well technically a breastfed baby can have milk at a year too, but BM is better. Same deal with formula -- toddler formula has more nutrients and such geared toward active kids.

• I've always heard that toddler formulas are just a way to keep money coming in.  While I understand continuing to use infant formula with the same thought as nursing past a year (which I fully intend to do) the toddler version seems like a waste to me.  And I have no words for the chocolate version.  I realize that some very old schools pediatricians still recommend using chocolate or strawberry syrup to get a reluctant toddler to drink milk, but when my older daughter was resistant to milk I was told to increase her yogurt and cheese intake, not add sugar.  The best is my SIL who is a ped.  Her 4 year old has stopped drinking regular milk, so because she and her husband agree chocolate milk is bad for children they give her milk with a splash of coffee and splenda Surprise
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"