Working Moms
Options

Dividing chores?

If you and your DH both work full time, how do you divide up child care and housework duties? Right now, DH and I have really informal way of doing things and it's just not working. I'd love to hear how other people share the work load. Thanks!

Re: Dividing chores?

• Options

We're in the same boat!  We're really informal about things, too although I tend to clean bathrooms more and he always takes out the garbage :)  I've been thinking about making a cleaning schedule, especially with #2 on the way!, as i think that'll help us stay on top of things.

I can't wait to hear what everyone else does, though!

• Options
    We're not very formal about anything, so drawing up a chore chart for us to follow wouldn't work for us.  There are certain things that DH does every day, like taking out the garbage, get the kids dressed, finishing up their lunches and taking them to school.  Then there are the things that we split b/c they need to be done, it isn't either of our sole responsibility and it's not fair for one to lounge around while the other takes care of it.  I usually ask him if he wants to do A or B and he chooses.  I don't care what I do, as long as I'm not doing all of it. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we're real informal too.  Sorry.  What exactly isn't working, though?  Perhaps explain that a bit more.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I do the bathrooms, he does the kitchen.  He sorts and starts laundry, I fold and put away.  Everything else we tackle together on Sundays. 
  • Options

DH does daycare drop-off and I do pick-up.  In the mornings I get DS up and ready while DH makes our lunches.  If we're running late DH finishes getting DS ready so I can get to work on time.  This makes DH late, so he gets home from work later than DS and me.  On weekends DH and I talk about what we want to do that weekend, and lay out a rough timeline and who will have DS.  If we don't do this, DH ends up going off and doing what he wants and I have DS all day and get nothing accomplished. 

For household stuff, we both have things we normally do and we take turns with the other stuff.  And we have a cleaning service and lawn service (love them!).  I feed the cats, do the laundry, shopping for clothes and gifts, travel planning, etc.  DH cleans the litter box, maintains the cars, does most of the remaining yard work, pays the bills, etc.  We take turns buying groceries and planning meals for the week, and washing dishes.  We both clean up the clutter around the house.  The chores we don't mind doing are the ones we always do, and the ones that get tedious we take turns doing.  That's how we divided it up.  We feel like the division of labor is about equal. 

Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do childcare.  DH does housework.  It works great for us, lol (I pitch in with housework when I can).
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    Dh had knee surgery 2 weeks ago so I am doing everything right now but typically he does most of the outside chores and I do most of the inside chores although he does the tub and shower cleaning for me.  We take turns waking up first in the morning and getting the girls going (and trade weeks on Wednesdays).  He typically does baths and I do most of the getting preschool bags ready and doc appointments.  He does about 95% of the cooking.  It has taken us a long time to get here but it works for the most part.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

We're very informally divided as well. If one of us decides to do something, it gets done, otherwise it does not.

Generally: I do meal planning, cook dinner (most of the time), and prep for the following day (lunches/coffee pot/DS's clothes/etc). He does the dishes, trash, and sometimes cooks dinner. Laundry and house cleaning - either one of us might do when we realize it needs to be done. We go grocery shopping together.

ETA: As far as feeding/changing/bathing/other baby duties, whoever isn't otherwise busy does that.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Our division is informal, but over time has become very developed and routine. 

We have a housecleaner, so we don't worry about housework.  I straighten up most nights, it takes all of 4 minutes.  I do the laundry.  He does the yardwork.  We grocery shop together on the weekends.  We bathe DS together, because we like it.  He cooks dinner while I put DS to bed, and we both clean the kitchen together after dinner.  We split drop offs and pick ups.  I pay the bills.  He takes the trash around every week.  He gets DS's breakfast in the morning and unloads the dishwasher because it takes me longer to get dressed.  That's about all I can think of right now.

What's going on with you division of labor right now?  I think posters could give you concrete ideas if you have us more information.

• Options

Same here, our division is informal..no set schedule or anything.

DH does 95% of the cooking. (I am not a cooker and he LOVES it). He does trash and majority of litter box cleaning, he pays the majority of the bills. I bathe DD, wash/prep bottles, pack her diaper bag, do her laundry/put away. We split drop off/pick up for daycare. We grocery shop together and either split the bill or trade off every other trip to the store. I shop and buy most, if not all of DD's clothes and toys. That's all I can think of right now, it seems to work for us..now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, I was about to say what's that? DH does the yard work (mowing maybe once per week) and the litterbox. I do everything else - cleaning, cooking, bill paying, bath time and bed time for DD, grocery shopping, etc. It is becoming a source of resentment for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"