2nd Trimester
Options

OB Concerns

Hi There,

I am concerned that my OB is not taking the time to adequately evaluate my pregnancy.  I am 20 weeks and just had my 20 week visit last Thursday.  At my appointment the nurse weighed me and took my blood pressure and checked my urine.  Then the doctor came in and we listened to the baby's heartbeat.  That is all that occurred.  Shouldn't I be measured?  Also, my doctor never asks me questions and literally has one foot out the door before I can ask her any questions.  Surely this isn't typical??  This is my husband and my first baby.  I have had two miscarriages prior to this pregnancy and have a lot of concerns.  My doctor is aware of my history.  I will admit that I have paranoia tendencies and jump to conclusions about the slightest symptoms...given my history.  So, I have called my nurse on three separate occasions and she has recommended that I come in to be evaluated each time.  Once for spotting, once for a UTI, and once for abdominal pain and soreness.  The nurse practitioner is the one who evaluated me each time, not the doctor.  However, it is on my chart that I have come in frequently.  So, at my last visit the doctor made the following comment:  "I won't see you for another 4 weeks since you have had so many visits."  Don't get me wrong, I understand that at this stage in my pregnancy it is typical to be seen every 4 weeks.  That wasn't the problem.  I didn't expect to be seen any sooner - in fact, I didn't understand why she would have said that except to make the point that I come in frequently.  If that is the case, I don't appreciate her judging me for having concerns...especially when she doesn't take the time to address the concerns herself.  I can't help but think that because of my frequent visits is why she is giving me the cold shoulder in the office.  I would be surprised if my office visit lasted more than 10 minutes...seriously!  And this has occurred in the past three appointments with her so I know I am not jumping to conclusions. It isn't like she isn't being paid for the services.

In the beginning, she spent a lot of time with me and my husband after our miscarriage and we thought she was great.  I guess I'm looking for an OB that will spend quality time with me, particularly in this pregnancy.  

All moms, OB's, and moms-to-be, please let me know if I am crazy for wanting to switch OB's.  I don't know if I'm thinking rationally or if the hormones are getting to me.  

Please help!!

Re: OB Concerns

• Options

If you feel uncomfortable then switch your OB. My last exam was quick and I just had blood pressure, weight, urine and fetal heartbeat done but she does always ask questions and make sure I have a chance to voice any concerns.

Just remember if you are not happy with this person now chances are it won't get better. 

• Options
    I would switch to a midwife if I were you.  Visits with a midwife usually last at least 30 minutes, if not an hour, and they are there to discuss all of your concerns, patiently.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagezukolivie:

I would switch doctors.  The shortness of the visit is common, but the fact that she doesn't ask you questions and creates a rushed environment is unacceptable.

I'd switch.  Find someone you like and move.  This is too important.

This, exactly.  To the T.  Also, another thing to think of, if you're starting to not like her now, imagine how it will be when you see her every week, and then for delivery.  If she's short now, she'll probably be short in the future, and when it's 'crunch-time'.

I also think you should look for another doctor.

My OB? He evaluates, listens to HB, checks my tummy (since I'm not large yet), and then brings us into office for a nice little 20-minute chit-chat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

That's how I expected my OB-GYN to act when I got pregnant and I knew I needed more so I went with a midwive practice.  Our appts last almost an hour sometimes just talking about things (emotional and physical) and answering any and all questions I have about anything from circumcision to birthing class types, etc.  I guess the only thing that I can say is, yes I think that's probably how a lot of OB's are, unfortunately.  But I'm sure you'll hear from people on here that theirs isn't. 

P.S. I don't get measured, just weighted, blood pressure, pee and heart beat and then a lot of talk. 

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
  • Options

First, I think her comment was rude! 

Second, my OB appointments last 10 minutes too.  I only got measured at my 23 week appointment.  My first appointment with my doctor I thought I was rushed and that she was being rude.  When I talked to my mom about it she asked if I had any unanswered questions...I didn't.  She then told me I was overreacting and that I need to keep in mind an OB's schedule.  They are up a lot of times through the night just so busy and they get things done quickly.  It comforted me and the next few times I have seen my OB she has been pleasant.

However, If she is cutting you short and not answering questions I would switch.  There is no excuse to rush through your questions!

• Options

She should listen to your concerns and questions, definitely,

That said, even my interim random visits have been with the NP. I only recently (my last two visits) saw my midwife and the actual OB. For me, though, I know they are off delivering other babies. My theory was that if I'm in labor and a woman in first or early second tri is in for her monthly, I want to know my doc/midwife will be with me so I was ok with it.

They have never made my concerns seem trivial or not answered questions, though they do handle questions quickly and my visits rarely last more than 10-15 min.

I just started getting measured at my 24 week appt. The doc/NP checked fundal height with their hands prior to that.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At my regular visits I get the weigh, bp and urine check from the nurse then the doc or midwife comes in.  We do the heartbeat check.  She asks how I'm feeling and checks her notes to see what we talked about last time.  Then she always asks me what questions I have for her, and usually I have at least a couple with this being my first pregnancy.  I never feel rushed.  If you're not comfortable, strongly consider switching.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options

I am kind of feeling the same way about my Drs office, but this is my first pregnancy and I don't know the protocol. However, I see a different person almost every time I am there, or if I see the same person they act like they have never met me before. It is kind of worrysome. Additionally, they have never really aked me any questions about my pregnancy or given me any advice or set any boundries. Now maybe they assume that I already know things or that if I want to know something I will ask, but sometimes I am afraid that I might not know the right questions to ask.

All of this kind of bothered me before, but on my last visit they realized that they had forgotten to take some blood for a screening at my last appt. So they sent me off the Lab to have my blood drawn. Well, no sooner do I get to work and they call me and tell me that they forgot to do that blood work again-- and that the blod work they did today was for something else, not the screenig that needed to be done. So, I had to go back over there and go through the whole blood drawing process again.

After this last little oversight, I am beginning to get a little concerned, but I am not sure how normal it is for this to be the case. I have had a very uneventful pregnancy and have no health problems, so maybe there is nothing more that the Dr should be doing for me. I don't know. I am just worried and want to make sure that someone is looking out for my and baby's health!! OP, in your situation it sounds like you are more high risk and I would be very upset being treated as a run of the mill patient given your past experiences. I think that you are totally justified in feeling the way that you do. I guess you can either make sure that you educate yourself as best you can and come in with a check list of things that you want done and questions that you want answered and really take control of your health care or get a new Dr that is more caring and willing to spend the time. I am not ready to change Drs yet, but I am definitely going to be more proactive and make sure that they take their time with me and answer all my questions from now on. Good luck!

• Options

I am a huge advocate for needing to have a great relationship with the person you are trusting to bring your child into this world safely.  With that being said, I can also see where the doctor may be concerned that you're causing yourself undue stress and by her saying something, you might misinterpret it and thus, cause more stress.  However, I would talk to her about your concerns.  Let her know that you felt it necessary to come in, and so you did on those occasions, and you certainly don't want to be made to feel like you couldn't come in again if you felt it was needed.  You also need to let her know what you expect out of your visits - more Q&A time, more explanations, increased bedside manner, etc.

I think sometimes OB's see so many pregnant ladies in a day, that they forget that each other them are going through something different and experience their pregnancies differently.

However, one question DH always asks me before I make an appointment that isn't routine: if you had to pay for this with cash (in other words, had no insurance), would you still go?  This really makes me put into perspective: I'm over-reacting right now, or this really warrants attention.  Sometimes I still go on an over-reaction, but it's probably a lot less than it would be otherwise.

• Options
    imagecarpozi:

P.S. I don't get measured, just weighted, blood pressure, pee and heart beat and then a lot of talk. 

Basically this for me.  She askes me how I am feeling and if I have questions.  She goes over my tests from the last time I was in.  If everything looks ok, I am out in about 10 minutes.  I don't see the need to spend that much time if the doctor thinks things are fine and I have no other questions.  My next appt may be longer since I am going to start asking about pediatricians, but what is the point of an hour appointment?  My doctor is no my therapist...that is DH's job! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kg_08kg_08 member
    If you're not comfortable with her, switch. My appointments are as you described, and they didn't start measuring me until 22 weeks, but I ALWAYS am able to talk about questions or concerns and am made to feel at ease.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My visits are short and sweet - that has always been the case. At our initial visit, my doctor warned me to expect very brief visits. However, they have always spent a minute or two to respond to my questions. I've noticed the nurse practitioners are the best, actually, at spending time with me (my last visit was probably 15-20 minutes versus the usual 10).

That said, I am disappointed about a couple of things. First, they never seem to review my chart prior to coming in the door. I've had to remind them that I am O- blood type so that they give me the shot at 28 weeks. I've also had to remind them that I tested positive for Strep B earlier in my pregnancy. Of course, they automatically test everyone for Strep B at the time of labor/delivery, but even if I tested negative at that time point, my earlier positive result would dictate antibiotics at the time of delivery. Nobody in their office ever emphasized the importance of that detail, but when I bring it up, they all agree that yes - I will need IV antibiotics at the time I go into labor. In general, I feel like I have to constantly be assertive and remind them of things. I worry about women being seen in that practice who aren't as well read/educated on these issues. I'm hoping that what I'm noticing is not the case prior to delivery - that they take that time point much more seriously.

• Options
    imagezukolivie:
    imageAnissaMarie:

She then told me I was overreacting and that I need to keep in mind an OB's schedule. 

I completely disagree with this statement. Remember - we pay the doctor to provide a service, which is providing quality prenatal care.  She works for US, not the other way around. 

If she's too busy, that's her issue - not something her patients should be penalized for.

Bottom line, if you don't have the warm fuzzy - switch to someone who gives you the time and effort you're paying for.

I disagree with this.  While your Dr. should address all your concerns, they don't have all day.  They have to maintain a certain patient load in order to pay for mal-practice insurance, the office, and their staff.  It's not realistic to think that they should sit and hold our hands for an hour every time we go in.  They would be out of business.

If the OP is not comfortable with her OB, then by all means go elsewhere.  That's the great part about being the customer. 

• Options

Sounds like you see the doctor I used to go to!  I had some of the same issues as you.  Each time I saw her I had to re-explain all the previous visits/tests/ etc. I even had to self diagnose....

This pregnancy I fought it and switched to someone who spends sometime with me and actually reads my files and remembers me at the next visit!

You should switch if you can, it is not worth the stress.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

this is my third pregnancy and I am a bit paranoid too. it's normal to be and your OB should know that. My OB is a God-sent. I can call a bazillion times a day and she still treats me like I am her one and only patient. Her and her staff worry about me and always reassure me that it is their job to be there for me, regardless of how many times I come in or call.

Switch drs or talk to her about it!

• Options
    My visits consist of giving a urine sample, getting weighed, and having my blood pressure checked. It's always followed by a 10-15 minute visit with my OB who checks the baby's heartbeat, asks how I've been feeling, and then asks if I have any questions. It's super quick. Every so often she discusses an upcoming blood test that may need to be done, but that's about it. We're not at the point where she's doing measuring, but I think that will be coming in the 3rd trimester for me. So, your visits seem fairly similar. Having said that, there are definitely OB's that are better suited for you and I don't think there is a thing wrong with switching. It's really important to find one that your comfortable with. And honestly, your doc's snippy comment would have ticked me off too. Go for it!

• Options
    I would change for sure. I had a m/c last summer and my doctor knows this has been a nerve wracking pregnancy for me. She had told me that I can come in whenever I want to hear my baby's heart beat. I took her up on it once in between apts but its great to know I can always go in and they are cool with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, I don't think you are crazy at all.  I wouldn't say her behavior is atypical though, since many OBs operate similarly.  If you want more 1-on-1 interactions, then you should see if there are any midwife practices in your area.  Many hospitals have them.  As long as you aren't high risk, I think a midwife would work well for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"