New Jersey Babies
Options

OBGYN recommendation in or around Bergen County

Hello All,

Does anyone have a good OBGYN in Bergen County?  I live in Northern BC and have not found anyone that is attentive, spends enough time with me to answer my questions, and is not going to push a c-section or other procedures unless absolutely necessary.  Thanks!

Re: OBGYN recommendation in or around Bergen County

• Options
    Hi!  I would totally recommend my Doctor whom I've been w/for about 9 years.  It's Healthcare 2000 Dr. Fred Resvani in Ridgewood on Prospect Street (right off Maple Ave).  He is very professional, good personality & very knowledgeable and never makes you feel uncomfortable, delivers @ Valley Hospital in Ridgewood.  Good luck!
  • Options

I'm no longer in Bergen Co., but I can tell you who I'd avoid.  I went to the center for womens' health in westwood (shakarjian, dicker and midwife giambalvo).  I lost three pregnancies due to m/c w/no other health issues, yet they told me it was just "bad luck."  Turns out with a little testing from a different ob, I have some disorders that are frequent causes of m/c--they blew me off. Before I knew about those disorders, I delivered a baby with that practice that subsequent doctors called "miraculous" given the conditions I have--that they never tested me for. 

My labor with my dd while with that practice was a nightmare.  I went into the hospital with close contractions (5 mins apart) at 2 am.  NO ONE from the practice even came to the hospital until 8, and I wasn't seen until 9--7 hours later.  At 9:15 or so, the midwife came in, broke my water, then told me I had to be rushed in for a c-section.  I can't help but think that perhaps if someone other than a nurse had been monitoring me  through the night, things might have been different.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, that sounds awful.  Which doctor did you use at this practice?  Is there anyone here you would recommend?  Thanks!
  • Options

Hi, there.  All three were in charge of my care (they rotate).  Dr. Dicker wound up doing my emergency c section, which did heal well, thankfully, but the rest of the experience and the failure to find (or even look for) a major issue really soured me.   Sorry I can't recommend anyone up there-it's the only practice I saw and I've since moved away.  Good luck!

• Options
    Dr. Weinstein in Paramus is great
                                                                Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Options
    Dr. SouSou in Teneck nj
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I go to Fairlawn Women's Health Group. But I too am feeling to make a change when I get pregnant again. They probably would not know me if they ran into me outside of the office. & I have been going there about 10 years.

I know someone else who goes to Resvani & loves him. The only reason I didn't switch is because what if he wasn't available when I went into labor? The above practice is a group of 6 dr's & you have to see tham all when pregnant. At least I knew it wouldn't be a stranger delivering.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Comprehensive Women's Care in Englewood.  There are 6 MD's...4 women and 2 men.  I love all of the women MD's there.  The men are good too but the women are so incredibly sweet and caring that they outshadow the men.  I started with Dr. Schlossberg and Dr. Bewtra delivered me.  Drs. Bank and Patrusky are also awesome.  It is the most professionally run OB practice that I have been to.  All of the doctors are caring, take the time to get to know you and your case and answer any questions and concerns.  The phone is always picked up within a couple of rings (I hate being put on hold for periods of time) and the MD's return your calls promptly without you having to call back innumerous times.  I am especially picky because I manage the business side of medical offices for a living.   
  • Options
    Englewood OB-GYN on Grand Ave in Englewood - next to Jackson Hole.  Group of doctors but my personal favorite is Dr. Tracy Scheller.  I LOVE her!  Other doctors there are also very knowledgable and professional.
  • Options
    Dr. Weinstein is leaving the practice in Paramus!  i was devasted!! My SIL went to Weinstein and loved her so I now also go to her, im 13 weeks pg right now.  At my last appt they told me she's leaving the practice and the only other dr is Robinson who actually delivered my SIL's DS and was mean beyond belief.  I even witnessed her giving my SIL an attitude after delivery!  so now im in the same boat.. trying to find a new OBGYN..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

My OB/GYN is Dr. Craig Wiener in Oradell. He's great. He's the only one in the practice, but he's got a few nurse practitioners there to help him out.

I recommend him because I was shooting for a vbac for this baby and he's very supportive of that (which indicates to me that he won't push interventions).  He's also been very insistant on doing whatever I want for my delivery. Unfortunately, I'll most likely end up with a c-section at 35 weeks. 

• Options

Valley Obstetrics & Gynecology in Paramus on Essex St, right by the Valley Center for Maternal Fetal Medicine. They have 3 OB's, mine is Dr Russo, and I love him. The others are great too - two women, one man. Best practice I've ever been too actually.

I had a bad experience w/Rezvani even though he came highly recommended by most of the women I work with (we work across the street from his office). He misdiagnosed me with PCOS, told me I was too fat to have a baby and to not get pg until I lost weight.I was about 60lbs overweight at that time. I went to a reproductive endocrinologist for a second opinion on the PCOS and brought the blood work Rezvani did on me. He looked at it and said "you don't have PCOS at all... and in fact, this paperwork tells me you were ovulating when you had the blood taken". Did a full workup on me, told me that not all overweight women have issues conceiving and n his opinion,  should have no trouble getting pregnant. Told me to go home and make babies.

Well, I got pg only about 6 months later, on our first real attempt and went to a practice (can't remember name) and saw Dr. Andrew Gnoy. I didn't know it but he wasn't board certified. I'd heart a heartbeat but at 9 weeks (and on a Friday) started bleeding. Went in and he did my ultrasound, said no h/b. Immed wanted to schedule a D&C but I said I wanted to talk to my husband and I'd call back. He left, no concern, barely knew what to say, made me feel very awkward. Only told me "you shouldn't wait - hospitals are closed on the weekends so you should jsut schedule it because if you need to go to the hospital tomorrow no one will be there" WTF??? Ladies at counter were saying "we need to schedule your next visit when you're 14 weeks... when is good for you?" they had no clue, very awkward. He was just standing there talking about sitcoms and yet didn't have the decency of telling them I wouldn't need a prenatal visit. Called back and said I wanted Cytotek to try to m/c naturally and he called it in after  bullied him into it. Called in pain meds for me too, though only 2-4 percoset. By Monday when nothing had started happening, I called and wanted to schedule the D&C - he said "NO! It's too late, you'll have to just do this at home". Took me a full week to m/c and it was a horrific and excruciating experience that I would never wish on my worst enemy. The percosets didn't even take the edge off the pain.

Three months later I got pg again... started to bleed at 6 weeks but didn't want to go back to same guy. Found Roger Coven at (I think) Valley center for womens health. He seemed very sympathetic as he confirmed my worst nightmare.Three months later I was still having heavy bleeding and went back to be sure all was ok.  I walked in, told him of the heavy bleeding, and the first thing he said to me was that it was all weight related and that I should really have gastric bypass surgery. I argued with him that I wasn't there for nutrition counseling and that I was in a great deal of pain and discomfort. He ignored me and continued to talk about my weight, even suggesting that I eat only 500-600 calories a day if I won't get the surgery. I was in shock at how he was treating me. He started to leave and I stopped him to tell him I wasn't done and that I'd been having serious pain trying to use Tampons. His exact response to me was "So what do you want me to tell you - don't use them anymore then" and left.

I searched for another DR and a friend recommended Dr Russo to me. I called and asked for a 2nd opinion and I sat down with him for a good 45 mns and talked about every single thing here. He was also shocked at everything, especially the gastric bypass thing. Said "that has nothing to do with the fact that you were having heavy bleeding... that's ridiculous". At the end of a great conversation, he examined me, told me weight or no weight, I looked healthy as a horse on paper and thought that I was just unlucky enough to be a statistic to have had 2 miscarriages. Said they were very very common. Had me go for more testing but said he wouldn't be surprised if I got pg really quickly and had a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Explained to me what could possibly be the outcome if I got pg at my weight (gestational diabetes, c-section, hypertension/pre-eclampsia) but said he sees normal weight women get it just as often. Before I left he said "you now that gastric bypass thing? Yeah, I had one myself. Lost 100lbs. And I still think it was ridiculous that he even brought it up to you as a solution for your gynecological issues".

I got pregnant again and this time, it stuck. Saw all three Dr's through my entire pregnancy and they were great. Ended up with Gestational Diabetes and a c-section and they were awesome. They remember my name when I go in for checkups, remember personal things about me jsut from conversation... all the nurses are great too. I'm pregnant again and I'm thrilled to have them be able to deliver my next child as well. My health insurance was changing a few months ago and he most important thing to me was making sure my OB's were still in the plan I chose... they're THAT good.

Sorry for the looong story, but didn't want to just bad mouth Dr's without giving you my reasons for it. Good luck to all in finding a new OB, I know how much it sucks to have to go through the process...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"