Success after IF
Options

Regarding leftover IVF meds

I have 2 unopened 900 unit cartridges of follistim in my refrigerator that I paid OOP for.

I'm sure you can imagine or understand how I feel every time I open the fridge and see the boxes.  RE's office said I could donate the follistim to them, but I would (selfishly?) like to get some of my money back! 

I see people offering their meds at discounted prices on TTTC, but I am (irrationally?) worrying about the law with all that.

What did you do with your leftover expensive meds?  If it was just something like an ovidrel syringe or progesterone vial, I'd have no issues with donating to RE, but big follistim cartridges...?

Re: Regarding leftover IVF meds

• Options

I gave mine away.  You could sell them, but to me it wasn't worth the legal risk.

Having said that, I have a friend here who may be interested in receiving Follistim, and um, I could perhaps send you a baby gift as a thank-you?!!!

Email me:  jandayatl at yahoo dot com

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
     I gave my leftover meds away, but I wasn't OOP, so I understand why you see so much investment when you look at the follistim. Think of it this way, though. Are you planning any more IVF cycles? If so, will those meds still be good when you want to use them? If not, they're useless to you, unfortunately. I understand wanting to recoup your losses on the meds but it may not be a good idea to sell them. Also, can you imagine what it would have been like if someone had blessed you with a free supply of follistim? It's good karma :) good luck no matter what you do with them :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have tons of Gonal-f leftover from my IVF but I intend on using it to try for our third child.  If I weren't I would pay it forward and give them either back to my clinic or to someone else who needs it.  Yes, I paid a lot of money for it and yes, it would be nice to get some of that money back but it's illegal to sell prescription drugs and I think you get what you give in life so I'd rather do a good deed and know that somewhere down the line that will come back to me.

The chance of you being arrested and prosecuted for selling it is slim, but the chance is still there.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I know exactly how you feel.  I have over $1000 of unopened Follistim that I paid OOP for.   Since I lost my job I could certainly use the cash.  However, I don't really want to do illegal sales of meds so I may end up giving them away someday. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We donated them to the RE.  They were already paid for, so why not help someone else out (my opinion).

Health&Fitness Blog imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Our IVF miracles!
  • Options
    My office won't take them for legal reasons.

I am keeping mine for the next go round as we paid out of pocket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know what you mean as I also paid OOP for meds. Mine will expire before I could use them again, so I found a good home for them. I try and look at it as the karma thing, too. But it sure does hurt to see all of that money wasted. And I learned my lesson and might have them prescribe one less box of meds next time.
    Unexplained. IVF#2 worked! Beta at 10dp6dt = 154, Beta at 13dp6dt = 603 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have about $1200 worth of leftover Gonal-f pens ...i will be saving it for next time. I did give away progesterone supplements and clomid to a girlfriend who needed them.
  • Options
    My IVF book says even donating is illegal (selling too obviously). But it's up to you, if you are willing to take that risk.
  • Options
    KARMA KARMA KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I donated my leftovers to someone I knew.... Wouldnt it be great if a lady at your RE practice is OOP and cant afford those cartridges???? You'd be responsible for some faB lady becoming a MOMMIE!!!!! What a thrill!!!!!!! Think it over!!!!!! And maybe when you go back for baby #2 RE remembers and throws free meds your way....
  • Options
    As someone who benefited from donated follistim, I can tell you that it made a huge difference since we were OOP. An IF blogger sent me 2 600iu and that's the only reason I was able to afford acupuncture.

And I really believe acupuncture helped us get our bfp. So the IFer played a direct role in getting me pregnant!
    After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    While I was blessed with insurance, I understand your dilemma.  I just started the process today to donate to a couple of nesties.  I have so much to be thankful for that I could afford it and I would love to help someone else realize their dream too.
    Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I gave all my left over meds to a local TTTC'er who was going to be paying OOP.
  • Options
    I appreciate all of your responses!

If anyone is still reading...

I think I'm going to just deal with my $1400+ loss and donate to my RE.  I highly doubt I will be able to use it again, as I think the expiration date is next May.  I have 6 frozen embies that we would try with if necessary before going the route of another fresh cycle.

I will just feel good about my good deed and forget about how poor my IVF cycle made us. :)
  • Options
    Poor in money but rich in love.  How very Little House on the Prairie of me to say that, but it's true!

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I gave my (very pricey) Gonal-F away, along with PIO, Menopur and Ganarelix. I posted on TTTC and offered it to the first nesties who replied to my posts. I'm a firm believer in "pay it forward".
    Maria
    After 27 months, 5 IUI's, 3 m/c's, 2 IVF's, 2 FET's (and a partridge in a pear tree) we finally had our baby boy. Our first son was born on Jan. 1, 2009.

Did another round of IVF and our girl/boy twins were born May 12, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"