Houston Babies
Options

second shower?

Is it a no no these days to have a shower for baby #2? My sis wants to throw me one, my mom thinks it's tacky.  (Most people I know have had one for each child)  I have all the basics, but since #1 was a boy and #2 is a girl, I thought it would be okay to have a second shower.  Thoughts?

Re: second shower?

• Options

I think if it's phrased as more of a help us welcome the baby and just a little more low key than a normal first time shower, it's totally fine!

I know several girls on here have had second showers, even for same sex babies, and they've always been very tasteful.

• Options
    I went to one for a friend.  They called it a "sprinkle" instead of a shower and it was cute.  There were about 10 people there and she got lots of clothes for baby girl, since like you, #1 was a boy and #2 was a girl.  I think it's fine to have 2.  I'd probably just limit the guest list to close friends and family.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think its kinda tacky, sorry. People will give you presents this time around if they want to, but having a shower is a little like asking for them, even if you are not the one orchestrating the event. I have never actually been invited to a second shower for someone, but I guess it is more common than I thought...maybe I'm old-fashioned.
  • Options

I think as long as someone offers to host it, then you're good.  If you ask for it...we'll, that's not good no matter what the occasion is. 

• Options

I had a casserole shower - everyone brought a casserole for my freezer or a giftcard to pizzahut. I've heard of people having diaper showers too. Other than the theme, it was a normal shower with food and games, though it was smaller than my first baby shower.

I didn't know the gender, and I didn't need much baby stuff so there's really nothing else that anyone could have bought me. I actually tried to register just to have a list of what I needed and get a completion coupon if I needed it... yeah, I only ended up with 5 things on my registry and one of those was a new carseat for DD, not for the baby at all Stick out tongue Needless to say, I didn't share that list with anyone except my mom.

- Jena
  • Options
    If someone wants to throw you one then let them.  Every baby deserves a welcome party :)  Enjoy!
  • Options

imagehoustonkdw:
    If someone wants to throw you one then let them.  Every baby deserves a welcome party :)  Enjoy!

Ditto.

~*~Jenn~*~
  • Options
    a girlfriend threw me a small luncheon at her house with 10 girls in attendance. it was very low key and nice. a couple of people gave ME gifts rather than the baby (a spa GC and a nice bath set) which was awesome. i also attended a lunch at a nice restaurant for another friend with 8 people in attendance. most people enjoy buying baby gifts and also enjoy getting together with friends. i think keep it small and nothing like a registry. then as long as you're not throwing it for yourself, i think everyone will have fun.
  • Options

imagehoustonkdw:

i agree.  

if you don't really "need" a lot, i'd have the hostess make it themed... diaper, casserole, girly clothes. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I find it funny the people who refuse to call it a shower. If people showed up and brought you anything, it was a shower. =) that's all.

My sister wanted to throw me a shower for Child #2. Like you, #2 is a girl, #1 is a boy. Sooo- i'll tell you what stuff I got, clothes, washclothes, towels, a new pack and play since ours broke, and diapers. I registered for #1 for all gender neutral "big items" so i didn't need any of those.

My oldest sister thought it was tacky, but had a blast helping out  with the shower... wierdo!

Again, if someone offers, I think it's tackier to say "no thanks" than just to roll with it. I always hated showers because I hated the fact that all attention was on me and everyone was buying all this expensive stuff for me... but that's just me... I really enjoyed my shower for DD just as much as I did for DS.

Enjoy your shower... you deserve it!

• Options

imagehoustonkdw:

Ditto!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    Heck I would come Cool
  • Options
    imageBritanyV:

imagehoustonkdw:

Ditto!

Ditto I really wish I had let my ILs throw one for G like they wanted to.  He didn't any kind of welcome party.  I was going to do a sip n see, but after Ike I just didn't want to be around anyone.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did not have a second shower. I asked that people refrain, because both my children are boys and they are close in age. Still, a friend at work had everyone purchase diapers.

I think a gender difference or large age gap might warrant a second shower. Otherwise...I stick with the tradition of first shower. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"