Stay at Home Moms

What do you do with store hangers?

You know the kind that clothes come on?  I try to take them off when I buy my or DH's clothes because we don't need them - we have sooo many plastic hangers as it is and very few closets (unfortunately seeing as closets was #1 on my house wish list, sigh) so the last thing we need/have room for are the metal/plastic ones that clothes are sold on.  However, we have a ton from the past plus lots of DS's clothes came on them as gifts or attached so you can't remove it until you get home and clip a million of those stinking little plastic attachments.  I hate to just throw them out (our poor poor overfilled landfills!  It makes me sick to see how "disposable" a society we have become) but our recycling center doesn't take them.  Ideas?  Know of stores that take them back or companies that will recycle them?  TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you do with store hangers?

• Um, throw them away.  I hate them.  They are difficult to use in my opinion.  I guess that is the wrong answer.  :(  Actually what I try to do is avoid bringing them home in the first place.  Whenever possible, I have the store remove the items from the cheapo hangers and just put the clothes in the bag.  Places like Old Navy, Target, etc seem happy to do this - they get to reuse the hangers.  Win-win.  But yeah, other places like BRU and Costco attach the clothes to the hangers... I think some of the hangers are recyclable though? 
  •  I tell the clerk that I do not need them. If for some reason they end up in the bag, I do use them but I try not to do this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just took a bag of them back to the store.  It may be a pain if you have hangers from all over, but if you have a shopping center and can hit most of the stores your hangers are from- you may be successful in recycling them.
  • I tell them at check-out that I don't want them. Most places around here ask so I don't usually end up with any.

But tonight at Target I was buying DS some clothes and I told the cashier THREE times that I did not want the hangers. She gave them to me anyway so I took them all out of the bag and handed them back.

• Is there a Goodwill or something like that around?  I'm sure any second-hand store would be happy to have them.
  • imageEnglishMajor03:
    Is there a Goodwill or something like that around?  I'm sure any second-hand store would be happy to have them.

Also- check out recyclebank.com.  I know they accept cellphones, computers, electronics for recycling but they might also do hangers.

• Ug, the bane of my existence! I also try to avoid bringing them home from the store when I'm buying the clothes myself. Otherwise I throw them away. I like the idea of returning them to the store! Maybe stores would start getting the message that they're being totally wasteful if more people did that.
  • I keep 'em. I signed up for a huge kids stuff yard sale in my community and one of the stipulations for selling kids clothes was that they all have to be on hangers. I was glad I saved some so I didn;t have to go out and buy hangers. I had so many that I gave some to a friend, too. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to get rid of them, but glad to recycle them, too.
  • Good question!  I throw them out but probably shouldn't either. 
  • I agree with the goodwill comment and the garage sale comment.

You could also try putting them on craigslist because you never know who really needs them, because ive seen them on there before.  

• I put them in the recycling; our town takes all numbered plastics.  The hangers I always get with Carters/Osh Kosh clothes are number 5 plastic.

• we have a couple re-sell shops that I take them too. I would even check shelters if you have any in the area. They make take some too.
  • We recycle the plastic-only hangers and put the metal/plastic ones on our local freecycle whenever we're overloaded.  They always get taken within the day, and I feel good about not throwing them out.
  • imageNov5Mrs.:
    I keep 'em. I signed up for a huge kids stuff yard sale in my community and one of the stipulations for selling kids clothes was that they all have to be on hangers. I was glad I saved some so I didn;t have to go out and buy hangers. I had so many that I gave some to a friend, too. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to get rid of them, but glad to recycle them, too.

I do this.  I also use them for our neighborhood garage sale. 

Does your church have a sale or maybe check out consignment stores?  Ask some friend if they do the consignment sales.  Sometime I am really hard up for them when it comes time to hang all those little pieces up. 

They dont make it in our closet though.  I have to have all matching hangers.  It used to drive my mother nuts when I lived at home.  I have to have all the same color even.  

• You can donate them to any clothing bank, too.  They are usually in dire need of hangers. 
  • I never take them from the stores where we buy clothes but the few times in the past I have ended up with them, I always put them in garage sales for like $1.  Someone will want them!  :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"