Special Needs
Options

Bravo Jamie O!

I love this guy...finally somebody is pointing out how screwed up the eating habits are in this country. A lot of people give me the side-eye for the organic GFCF diet that my son is on and that is truly helping him....and really, it is based on the same principles that Jamie's Food revolution is about: non-processed, made from scratch, leaving out the additives and fillers, nutritious & delicious food nourishing the body, mind and soul. Almost vomited when I saw all that crap they were "cooking" before he came in to that school...I'm so glad I take the extra time every day packing my child's breakfast/lunch for preschool, because I'll be darned if he puts any of that crap in his mouth...I see what my son's preschool feeds the kids everyday, it's very much similar to what they do in that school on TV. Appalling!

And LOL at the pizza for breakfast...I remember I had the same sort of look on my face when I first came into this country in high school, and the HEALTH CLASS teacher lectured us about nutrition one day - he said pizza has many nutritional benefits and therefore it's an acceptable meal for breakfast Indifferent I couldn't believe it.

Re: Bravo Jamie O!

• Options
    I must have missed it.  Where did you say you lived before?  I didn't live there long but I was born in Germany.
  • Options

I don't use the mixes...especially since we're watching his sugar intake and he can't have too many nuts...etc. either. My son didn't care for them anyway...honestly, most of them are not very yummy. I'd rather make a simple meal...like chicken with fresh spices, a side dish and steamed/or lightly boiled vegetables (we don't like mushy :-)...it just makes sense to me. My mom watched me cook for my boy one day and said...."I thought this was some fancy diet, but this is basically how I used to cook for you guys growing up - from scratch!"

I'm not sure about the 10% success, it probably comes from some sort of a statistic, but I'm honestly not believing it - at least not when it's done "right"...I have been to a couple of conferences and many TACA meetings...it seemed like over a half of those folks said it was working for their children at least in one or two areas (better attention span, less stimming, more social...some people said better eye contact and more speech...or a combo of a few of these etc.). That's why we actually gave it a go - because we heard so many success stories first hand. I can only really say how it's been for us specifically - it can be very subtle sometimes, because my son is considered mild/high functioning (IDK - they use both terms in his paperwork)....and you can really only see a difference when we have a slip-up...I noticed with dairy more so than with gluten - I notice he starts flapping again, which he normally doesn't do, he gets echolalia back a bit, although that's normally a non-issue also and he's sort of "spacey" and in his world a lot more, which normally he's pretty much "with us" most of the time and he's always been complemented by school professionals that his attention span is very good. But, it's true - I was not seeing results right away and it has been very very gradual and subtle over time...I was questioning it many times whether it was actually working or not. I really only "got it" when - after 9 months on the diet, he had a big slip up, and all of a sudden I noticed all the "positives" - I had been so used to seeing as our new normal - go downhill. Then it got better again, as we re-enforced the diet.

It really only makes sense. What you put in your body affects how you think, feel. It's finally coming to surface - and more and more Dr's recommend adjusting your diet for things like PCOS, migraines, depression, skin rashes and many others. And it works!

Mommyof4: I was born and raised in the Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia). I came to the U.S. when I was 17. Where in Germany did you live? I have relatives in Bavaria, I love it there!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My grandfather's family was from Czechosolvakia.  I know his family was still there.  I was born in Bitburg. 
  • Options

Actually the whole Jamie Oliver thing is sort of interesting.  He did this in the UK before and they did a whole BBC special on it.  I think it was an entire school district and it created bedlam.  Oddly, a lot of the parents were upset about their poor babies not eating enough I remember reading an article at the time about how some were sneaking them junk food through the school fence Indifferent

I am a firm believer in all things in moderation.  I cook 98% of the food my kids eat from scratch.  However, if I tried to switch my DS to a GFCF diet he would basically start eating only fruit.  I don't think that would be  healthy either so I doubt we'll be trying it anytime soon.  On the flip side, I could care less if he only eats french fries in a restaurant one night.  That's a minimal part of his diet.

I'm a huge fan of Prague :)  When we lived in the UK we actually had a rough visit there with DS.  He was about 9 months and we went there for the weekend.  He got very ill for the first time and was vomiting constantly so we took him to a doctor.  The Dr. wanted me to give him flat Coke (which I nixed) and then he had me go get something that sounded like KoolieShake.  Its whatever they call Pedialyte, but I was sooo confused because it comes in a powder and you mix it with water.  On top of that the very nice lady at the pharmacy was trying to help me read the directions and told me to mix it with 5 mls of water instead of 50mls.  Then I was trying to navigate the grocery store in the city (a hypermart sort of thing) trying to find some sort of plain crackers with no clue about the language - it was quite comical.   After all that I still really like Prague so it must have been pretty amazing!

• Options

Man, I could use some help with GFCF. GF to me is not that big of a deal, I do not eat cookes or bread or pasta, and neither does my son, but replacing milk and yogurt and cheese..... this is so hard - this is 50% of his diet.

I cook very simple foods from scratch, always have.

I would appreciate any pointers or help!
    Thanks!

• Options
    We had to cut out dairy all together with Chris when he was smaller.  We used rice milk and found most things worked well with it as a subsitute.
  • Options
    imagebugmommy:

Actually the whole Jamie Oliver thing is sort of interesting.  He did this in the UK before and they did a whole BBC special on it.  I think it was an entire school district and it created bedlam.  Oddly, a lot of the parents were upset about their poor babies not eating enough I remember reading an article at the time about how some were sneaking them junk food through the school fence Indifferent

I am a firm believer in all things in moderation.  I cook 98% of the food my kids eat from scratch.  However, if I tried to switch my DS to a GFCF diet he would basically start eating only fruit.  I don't think that would be  healthy either so I doubt we'll be trying it anytime soon.  On the flip side, I could care less if he only eats french fries in a restaurant one night.  That's a minimal part of his diet.

I'm a huge fan of Prague :)  When we lived in the UK we actually had a rough visit there with DS.  He was about 9 months and we went there for the weekend.  He got very ill for the first time and was vomiting constantly so we took him to a doctor.  The Dr. wanted me to give him flat Coke (which I nixed) and then he had me go get something that sounded like KoolieShake.  Its whatever they call Pedialyte, but I was sooo confused because it comes in a powder and you mix it with water.  On top of that the very nice lady at the pharmacy was trying to help me read the directions and told me to mix it with 5 mls of water instead of 50mls.  Then I was trying to navigate the grocery store in the city (a hypermart sort of thing) trying to find some sort of plain crackers with no clue about the language - it was quite comical.   After all that I still really like Prague so it must have been pretty amazing!

Wow - I'm surprised you are still a fan - LOL! I heard that about the flat Coke before - not sure if it works, my family has always been a firm believer that beer fixes all upset stomachs ;-)....that explains where Pilsner comes from...no really, that sounds like a pretty stressful time you had with your boy. I am actually not from Prague...my hometown of Brno is much closer to Vienna, Austria - about 100 miles.

• Options
    imageSobachka:

Man, I could use some help with GFCF. GF to me is not that big of a deal, I do not eat cookes or bread or pasta, and neither does my son, but replacing milk and yogurt and cheese..... this is so hard - this is 50% of his diet.

I cook very simple foods from scratch, always have.

I would appreciate any pointers or help!
    Thanks!

Interesting...I found gluten to be more difficult to replace. Dairy was not so hard for me. Gluten/wheat makes bread taste good (I love bread) and it really took me a while before I found bread that actually tasted fine.

Dairy: If you have Whole Foods around you or Erewon or some other HFS, you should go and explore their "dairy" section. Yogurts - there's a yummy coconut-milk based yogurt line called So-Delicious by Turtle Mountain. They also make very good ice cream. There is rice-based cheese in 3-4 basic flavors (pepper jack, american...) and it melts nicely on pizza. They make it in slices. I forget the name right now, because my son doesn't care for cheese anyway - but I know Whole Foods carries it. Applegate Farms makes a casein-free/dairy free ham, hot dogs and bacon. They're also organic with no additives or dyes or preservatives. Normally, all of these meat products have dairy in them. As far as milk goes - you can substitute with nut milks, potato milk, hemp milk (very healthy and full of EFA's) or rice milk. Potato milk is powder you buy online. It's called Dari-Free. It's good to rotate the milks, especially since the diet can quickly become one sided - you may find yourself substituting everything with rice-based or soy-based products, and tha'ts not ideal either. Btw, we avoid soy as well - it has estrogen inducing abilities, not very good for boys. For butter - we use ghee, but there are others - Fleishmann's and Earth Balance, for example.

Sometimes, if a child favors dairy heavily over other foods, it may be an indicator that he's "hooked" on dairy and he may be a really good candidate for the diet. That's what the DANs say.

If you really want to give it a go, I'd suggest getting a GFCF cookbook. The Special Diets for Special kids 2 is suppossed to be the go-to book, although I do not own this one, but I heard it's really good. I own The kid friendly ADHD & Autism cookbook by Pamela Compart. I really liked it in the beginning when I needed help with recipes.

• Options
    Thank you for the pointers! I will set a date and just start the diet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"