Maryland Babies
Options

Breastfeeding

Hello everyone!!!

I am new to this board. I am 30 years old and having my first July 9,2010.

Delivering at St. Joseph's

Has anyone rented a breast pump from the hospital before? How much is it?

The reason I am asking is because i want to make sure i am ok with breastfeeding before i commit to purchasing an expensive breast pump.

Also, What brand is good if i do commit on the purchasing one? Any advice for a first timer on breastfeeding?

Thanks

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Breastfeeding

• Options

I didn't rent a pump from the hospital, but I would have felt comfortable doing so. I was lucky enough to get my sister's pump for free. Medela is a popular, reputable brand of pump, but my friend just got one that is sold only in hospitals and not in retail stores. I'll have to check what it's called. They are actually less expensive than Medela, and her insurance reimbursed her for buying this one.

My advice is to not let it stress you out. It's sometimes difficult at first, but stick with it to see if you and baby adjust. Also, don't beat yourself up if you can't breastfeed or don't enjoy it and want to stop. I know some people can make you feel evil if you don't BF, but sometimes it doesn't work it, and it's okay. GL!

• Options

I just rented one this past week from GBMC.  It was $60 for the month or $35 for two weeks.  The ones you can buy there I believe are the Ameda brand.

Medela Pump in Style seems to be the popular one that most people use.

Welcome to the board and congrats on your pregnancy!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you both so much.

I looked up the ameda breast pumps and they seem the least expensive with a lot of good reviews.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am a F/T working mom and I brestfeed my 7M DD.  So I pump 4 times a day and I have the Medela Pump in Style. I think it's great.  Medela is also a really good company with customer service. I called them b/c I was having trouble finding in stores some bottle accessories.  They sent me 10 of them for free.  My SIL has the same pump as well and her strap broke so Medela sent her a brand new pump for free she just had to send her old one back! So that is also something to consider.

I think also as long as the pump isn't opened and the seal to the box isn't broken you can return them. 

I was fortunate enough to have breastfeeding come easy but I know that isn't the case for all.  I will say it is super weird at first but then becomes better ;)  GL!!

• Options

I rented a Medela from St. Joes and was very happy with it. It was 60 bucks for a month and we felt it was worth it. It is one of the hospital grade ones that sell for more than a grand. The only difference between it and the ones you can buy is the quality of the motor. You can also purchase pump's from St. Joes too.

I highly recommend going this route. I had "production issues" and just used the pump for the month we rented it. My boobs really sucked the big one. Good Luck and Congrats!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

First congrats & welcome!

I strongly recc'd taking a breastfeeding class- I took one @ our hospital before I delivered, it was just one night like 3 hrs and totally worth it- it was taught by a lactation consultant and made me much more confident and committed to bf'ing my DD.  There are also some great books out there- I have heard wonderful things about "So That's What They are For."

I was afraid to invest in a pump & knew I would be SAH, so I bought a medela manual pump for like $24 and it's was fine for my needs- but I never built up a big freezer stash or anything, I just would pump and freeze like a week out before I knew I would have to leave my DD for a while.  It was quiet and I was able to pump on one side and while DD nursed on the other, which was handy as well.

Unless you are told to by a lactation consultant @ the hospital or by a pedi after an early check-up, it's typically recc'd that you avoid pumping for the first 4 weeks or so because it can screw up your supply, encourage engorgement, etc. 

www.kellymom.com is a great bf'ing info resource. 

Good luck! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"