San Diego Babies
Options

HR/Maternity Leave Question

I am still debating on whether or not to return to work after the baby comes. I don't think I'll make up my mind until after she's born, while I am on maternity leave. What I'm wondering is, are there any standards for discontinuing insurance coverage when an employee leaves? For right now, my insurance will still cover me through my whole leave, assuming I come back. If I don't return to my job, will they still cover me through my entire maternity leave, just until the baby is born, or backdate it all the way to the last day I worked?

Does anyone know if there any legal standards on this, or is it totally up to the company how they want to handle it?

Re: HR/Maternity Leave Question

• Options
    Hmm, I'd like to know the answer to this as well!
  • Options

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question specifically, but I did learn that my company would require me to pay back portions of my insurance if I do not return after my maternity leave.  This makes me think that perhaps this is the company's decision?!? 

I know this probably isn't very helpful, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  Good luck!! 

Heather

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it completely depends on the way the insurance policy was written and your company policy.  Generally, if you are employed and paying your portion of the coverage, you are covered until you either quit or stop paying.  If you qualify for COBRA, then your insurance carrier has to keep you for up to 18 months after you loose coverage....however its REALLY expensive (102% of the premiums).  Ask you HR department - they should be able to help.  If you don't want to tell them you might not come back, ask a thousand questions with different scenarios so they think you are just exploring all options.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks! The company actually pays my portion of my insurance coverage, so that's not a good sign for me. I'm going to have to come up with some creative ways to ask questions! In the meantime, I'm going to start researching options for new insurance coverage for after I stop working.
  • Options

I was actually just talking to an insurance broker about this.  He is completely independent of my company and I had contacted him about getting quotes for private insurance.  I have decided I'm going to quit my job once I deliver and wanted to price out insurance options.  He was saying that it is completely up to the company and they can drop you off their plan the day you stop working.  I don't know how that would work with back dating but I think it is within the companies rights to make you pay back any premiums.

This is just what I have gathered doing my research I could be wrong! 

Cole Alexander 6.9.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"