North Florida Babies
Options

Needs stroller advice!! PLEASE

Hello i'm a newbie to this site and also a first time mother. I'm new to Jacksonville area and don't know anyone with kids I can ask so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any advice on locations (Arlington/Mandarin area) and good but reasonable priced brands of travel system strollers?? We are in the budget of $250. I am so overwhelmed by all the different types and styles (also how expensive they can be). Is $250 also being too cheap?? PLEASE I need help!! thank you!!!!!  

Re: Needs stroller advice!! PLEASE

• Options

Popped over from the NC board to ask about vacation spots, and I saw your post. I think $250 is inline if not a wee bit high for a travel system, but then again, I"m a cheap bastard like that. ;-) That said, I am not a fan of them. I was begrudingly convicned to take the Graco Metrolite travel system off of my registry and replace it with a Snap 'n Go and then determine what stroller I wanted after she arrived. Thank goodness I did!!!!! I puffy hearted my Snap 'n Go!!! I used it with the Graco SafeSeat, and in those beginnign months, it was great to have something so small and lightweight to take around. They stay in their car seat 99% of the time those first few months anyway, because they're always sleeping, so you don't really get your money's worth on the stroller portion. It would also be a PITA to lug around the car seat and the stroller the first few months.

When she was around 6 months, I finally figured out what I wanted in a stroller, so I found a Peg Perego Pliko P3 cheap on craigslist. That stroller was nowhere on my radar before I was PG. I was able to figure out what features I wanted and needed in a stroller once I had Katie and knew what her preferences were. We loved the Pliko from 6mo-12 months because I could either use it as a stroller or put her car seat on it [kinda like you'd have with a travel system]. Around 12 months, I bought a MacLaren Volo for our first airplane flight, and now that's been our stroller of choice when running errands. I will probably pull the Pliko out for arts festivals, etc, but the Volo is great for running around town. I would go bonkers if I had to use a full size stroller all the tiem at this age.

Good luck! Strollers and bottles were my absolute hardest things to decide on when I was registering. ;-)

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Options

I should add, I got all three of those strollers for less than $250, and they all have great resell value.

Snap 'n Go: shower gift, but can get great used ones for $20. New costs $40-50

Pliko: craigslist for $100 in excellent shape

Volo: $100 at BRU. Gotta love stacking coupons.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    and just because I appear to be in a post whoring mood tonight, I would HIGHLY recommend the Baby Bargains book. I was a first time mom too, and I could not have registered had it not been for that book!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

• Options

$250 is plenty to spend on a travel system, if not a little high.  Babies R Us is always coming out with coupons for 15% to 20% off baby gear items.  I'm sure you could find one if you do a Google search.

I have the Graco Metrolite Travel System.  It is bulky.  It fits the SnugRide32 carseat.  The carseat itself is bulky and does not fit in an upside down highchair (like many carseats do in restaurants).  The other thing is that it does not allow the baby to recline so they appear to be too upright, especially when they are smaller and need to recline so their airway is not constricted.

Ditto PP on the Baby Bargains book.  You may drive yourself crazy with the options, but it's helpful advice.

Mungee and Me
    How is it that my BABY is going to be 3?

BFP-2/25/11; 8 Wk U/S-3/25/11-No HB, measured 6.5 wks; D&C
  • Options

I agree on the Baby Bargains book - it was a very helpful.

We  bought the chicco travel system and have gotten a lot of use out of it.  It's not at all heavy and is easy to maneuver with one hand.  I can get it out of the back of my car and open with one hand, while holding my 35 pound toddler in the other.

We used it with B's infant seat until he was about 4 months, when he outgrew the infant seat.  When he turned 1, we bought a McClaren Volo, which we also like.  I have them both in the car, but still grab the Chicco one more often - it just seems more comfy and there's more storage space for my stuff (and a cup holder!), and I like having the snack tray for B.

I'd go to the store and try them out, think about when you'll primarily have them in the stroller, etc.  It really varies for everyone.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

First, I would highly recommend looking on Craigslist. You can get strollers that are extremely good deals. I also agree with using one of the coupons from BRU. They have them on their website also.

I went with the Baby Trend Jogger system and loved it. ALL of my friends have the Chicco (sp?) and they loved those. I didn't want to have to buy a jogger and a travel system so the jogger system had it all. I also have a Mac. Volvo (sp?) and couldn't love it more. 

There are also great consignment sales. I think there is one coming up- something called Upscale consignment? They had something on Good Morning Jacksonville about it.

• Options
    There are sooooo many to choose from.  I've found the selection in Jacksonville to be really bad.  I ended up buying a Mutsy from the Mutsy web site, since it was half off (pink only).  A friend just purchased the City Jogger from Lulu.  Lulu will match any online price, if you want to really shop around.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"