Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Do you tell your 3 yr old to share?

Ok, I'm just wondering...I feel like such a bad friend cause I guess I'm being judgemental.

My friend has a 3 yr old who really doesn't like to share.  I'm sure most don't "like" to at this age, and it is totally age-appropriate, but when do you intervene? 

We were at a party today and he was "playing" with my DD who is 1.  She had a water bottle and he took it from her and was making her crawl across the room and then as soon as she would get close, he would take it and run to the other side of the room. I felt really bad for her (it was clear she was not having fun and getting upset) and wanted to say something but didn't.  I just got her another water bottle and another toy to play with. I don't think he is old enough to be doing it maliciously, but his parents don't really say too much and if they do they say it, he says "no" and then they don't follow through.  Honestly, I think they just don't want him to have a meltdown in front of others so they pick their battles I guess.

This isn't the first time I've seen him do this, I've seen him do it with other's kids.  I'm sure I'm not being fair, but at this point, I just think that I would tell my DD to share and that it is not fun for a baby to play "keep away." 

Am I being a helicopter mom? or do you think you would intervene and explain to him?

Thanks for your time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Do you tell your 3 yr old to share?

• Options
    I make my two year old share and I have been for about a year now. He is so much better at it than most of the kids I know.
  • Options

I tell my 2 yr. old to share.  So I think a 3 yr. old should too.  I have caught myself telling friends LO's to share in hopes that the parents would too.  I watch myself as well bc I can understand that people don't like others to "discipline" their child.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That kid sounds like he could end up being a real brat if his parents don't step in and start teaching him how to behave. No way would I tolerate either of my children behaving that way.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options

That's not about sharing - that's about being mean.

And yes - as a mother of a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old my vote is that he's fully capable of doing this out of mean spirit. 

Since my 3 yr old has a younger brother we certainly deal with the exploration of being mean to elicit a response from another.  It's not fun or pretty but you bet we nip it in the bud.

As for intervening?  When in the situation I do speak to my friend's children if they're being cruel or mean to another child - mine or not.  I wait to see how they'll handle it and if they ignore it I do suggest solutions for both/all children.

I personally would have said something along the lines of "It's DD's turn with that right now.  Would you like a turn in 2 minutes?"  with a big smile on my face.  No one should fault you.  You're not telling him no, you're telling him to wait for a turn.  Perfectly acceptable.

Kids are not likely to share on their own.  Granted - they do sometimes but during the hyped up energy of a party some of those fundamental socializing skills go out the window.  I would hope that if I wasn't able to be on top of both of mine at the same time someone else would step in and guide the play and sharing.  As a mom of 2 young ones running in 2 different directions there WILL be times when I won't be right there to correct the behavior the second it happens.  I'm always grateful (and honestly embarassed) when someone else steps in to ensure a good play environment for all.  After all - it takes a village to raise a child, right?  

And frankly - a parent who's not willing to teach their kids not to be mean is not going to be on my play date list for long.  Granted - a party situation can be out of your control to some degree but when I see things like that with no parental intervention going on during more than 1 occasion we tend to limit our exposure to those kids/families when we can.

I find parties to be particularly interesting.  I'm often blown away at the number of parents who sit back and socialize and completely ignore their children.  When they're a bit older I completely understand that but at this age I feel it's important to be there to guide these interactions so they're learning how to behave around peers.

It usually ends up that I'm sitting in the floor playing with all the kids while the parents are hanging out in another room drinking and socializing. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options

I agree - it takes a village.  But my circle of friends wouldn't think twice to intervene if it was my daughter being the "mean" one.  (and yes, I also agree that he's being mean.  3 yr olds are totally capable of mean-spirited play).  

You should not be afraid to stand up for your daughter.  I'm not saying you should tell this little boy to knock it off.  But you can definitely step in and say "dd is playing with that right now.  you may have a turn next".     So your goal isn't to correct his behavior but to show your daughter that it's okay to be assertive and not let people push you around just because they are bigger/brattier/etc.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If I was there in your position I would have said "we have to be nice and share with our friends" taking the bottle from him and giving it back to my daughter.  Just as if the scenario were switched and my daughter took from him, Id say the same to her and give it back to him.... If I felt COMPELTELY uncomf. saying or doing that then I would totally redirect her with something else or move her somewhere else to do play with other kids.
  • Options
    She's very good with sharing but I do still remind her if I think she's not taking turns enough for being particularly selfish. And we always remind her to play extra nicely around the little babies that are younger than she is.
  • Options
    3 year olds can be mean. He's probably testing to see what your dd will put up with. How much can he get away with? As a Pp said, I would have explained it was dd's turn and his turn would be in X minutes. I do this with my own children. If they cannot take turns it becomes mommy's toy. Now they each have "special" toys that I do not force the issue.like dd's puppies and ds's spaceman. But b/c we do this with the other toys ,they end up sharing those special toys as well.
  • Options
    Well I make my 2 year old share and teach him that we do not tease like that so I don't think you are at all being unreasonable in expecting that they should step in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"