Baby Names

Owen James? Your opinion please!

So Owen is my favorite boys name in the world and James is a family name from DH's family.  However, this means our baby would have the initials O.J.  Our last name starts with an M so it's not like he'd have the exact same initials as O.J Simpson but we are wondering if this is a bad idea to give him these initials. We definitely are NOT planning to call him OJ but I'm concerned that people will notice this on their own and tease him.  What do you think? Would you give your baby these initials?  Be honest!  TIA!

Re: Owen James? Your opinion please!

• I love the name, and don't think anyone under the age of 25 would make the connection.  I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said something.  Go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Owen James sounds nice. I wouldn't worry about the O.J. connection, because once in school, not many people will pay attention to your child's middle name. If it was first and last initials, it might be worth considering, but I think you're fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think anyone will notice. I'm in my 30's, and didn't notice until you said something.
  • I think it's a handsome name! Wouldn't have thought about the O.J. initials at all.

James Owen is nice, too! 

• Great name. OJ Simpson didn't come to mind.

ETA: I just asked my husband what he thought of the name and he immediately said, "Like OJ?" Then he went on to add that "And Owen sounds kind of like his real name, Orenthal." Leave it to a guy.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I love Owen James! That is such a good name. I wouldn't worry about his initials being O.J., that is just silly. If they were something like F.U.K., then I would worry...

Besides, if anything I think of Orange Juice before I think of O.J. Simpson, lol.

• Not a big deal at all. I never would have thought of O.J. until you pointed it out.
    Blank!
  • imagesayster:

I think it's a handsome name! Wouldn't have thought about the O.J. initials at all.

James Owen is nice, too! 

This- you're totally overthinking it :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry about it.
    My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • imageCactusGirl:

I love Owen James! That is such a good name. I wouldn't worry about his initials being O.J., that is just silly. If they were something like F.U.K., then I would worry...

Besides, if anything I think of Orange Juice before I think of O.J. Simpson, lol.

This
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I love the name. I dont think that many people would tease cause of initials, I think they would tease cause of their actual name. And anyway I doubt anybody your child will go to school with will even know about the whole O.J. thing.
  • i love it! its been so long with that case, i don't think anyone would connect those names together.
  • imagePhilsWife07:

Great name. OJ Simpson didn't come to mind.

ETA: I just asked my husband what he thought of the name and he immediately said, "Like OJ?" Then he went on to add that "And Owen sounds kind of like his real name, Orenthal." Leave it to a guy.

Lol, the first words out of my dh's mouth when I asked him what he though of the name were the same... "You mean like OJ?!" I, though I remember that trial well would NEVER have made the OJ connection on my own -and agree with the first poster that most people under the age of 25 wouldn't definitely not make the connection... so certainly not any of the kids your son would be growing up with. (I would hope that anyone old enough to make the connection wouldn't be immature enough to tease him for it.) Plus, not many people outside of family and close friends know mn's anyways! I love the name, I say that if you love it, you should go for it! 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i am not a regular over here or anything, but

my son is Owen James!  our last name begins with a c

Once my annoying 50 something neighbor made a comment, I think thats it though!  We were also worried about the OJ connection, but in just over 2 years it really hasn't been an issue, good luck with your Owen James!!

Chrissy BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageMrsEricH:
    I love the name, and don't think anyone under the age of 25 would make the connection.  I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said something.  Go for it.

This. Love the name Owen James.

• No big deal! LOVE Owen James. Our last name is S and I am thinking about Owen Jacob S... just like OJ Simpson. I don't know if it bothers me or not!
  • It's pretty good! I wouldn't even think of the OJ connection.
  • I guess I'm one of the only ones that DID think of OJ. I like the name though, and if you're not going to call him OJ then I don't think it's a big deal. Go for it!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• This was our boys name..turns out we are having a girl though.  So needless to say I LOVE it.  I had the same concern as you but decided I didnt care and would just correct anyone that may call him OJ.
  • Thanks! It is funny that men seem to notice the OJ thing more than women.  We had been decided on the name for months before I even thought of it and when I mentioned it to DH he said "oh yeah I thought of that awhile ago" but he apparently thought it was not significant enough to bring up.  Sounds like I might want a few more male opinions on this issue...

But I'm glad to hear that others with these initials have not had problems!  

• I wouldn't think twice about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"