Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Your bedroom downstairs/baby room upstairs...

Anyone with this situation and how's it working out??  Any pros/cons about it?  We are trying to buy a home soon and we found one that's just what I want, but the master bedroom and bathroom is downstairs and there is one small bedroom and one larger size bedroom upstairs and that's it.  I LOVE this house, but am afraid of sleeping on a different floor then LO.  I was thinking maybe we could make the larger bedroom upstairs our bedroom, but then the bathroom is downstairs.  Not sure what to do, if anything.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Your bedroom downstairs/baby room upstairs...

• Options

We have this situation.  We have a full nursery in his room downstairs and then upstairs, in our room, we'[ve got his PNP Bassinet, where he sleeps at night, a little roller cart for some clothes/blankets, diaper changing station, xsecond diaper champ, etc.  

It has worked out great... just be sure you get duplicates of everything so you have all of his supplies on both levels. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We're the reverse -- kids' rooms dowstairs, our room is upstairs.  We just kept DD, and now DS, in our room (first in a cradle, then in a PNP), until consistently STTN.  Then they move to their own room.  Honestly, once they are consistently STTN, I don't think it makes much difference if you are on different levels.  Sure, you'll still have to go up and down the stairs from time to time for a sick kid or to get a glass of water, but really no big deal.

It did feel like DD was VERY FAR away the first few nights she spent in her own room, but we got used to it quickly (and everyone seemed to sleep better, actually).  If you needed to, you could always sleep a few nights (or longer) in the other room upstairs until you all get used to the transition.

I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor if you love the house.  If you plan to be in the house for a while, remember your kid(s) will only be newborns for a short time, and then they'll be "big kids," and you'll probably be glad to have a bit more separation from them.  When we buy our next house, it will likely be with a master on the main floor and kids' rooms upstairs.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I dont' have this situation but I just wanted to say that you look really cute in your siggy! Your bump is adorable! GL house hunting.
  • Options

We have this situation (master on ground level and nursery upstairs) and it SUCKS!!!!  I HATE it!   I have to have duplicates of everything on both levels.   And at night I have been sleeping in the guest room across the hall from the nursery so I dont have to run up and down the stairs for all the feedings (DS sleeps in his crib).    Making bottles at night is also a PITA.   I finally bought a small dorm refrigerator and bottle warmer to keep upstairs in the nursery (just till he is STTN) so I can quickly make bottles instead of running downstairs to the kitchen every time.

If I knew we were going to have a baby I NEVER would have got a house with this floor plan.  It would be great for older kids, but not for infants.   It is going to be bad with a toddler too...have to keep baby gates up for a long time to prevent LO from coming down the stairs in the middle of the night.

• Options
    I'm in the SAME SITUATION! We found a house we love, same setup as the one you're looking at. We'll put Mina's room at the top of the steps, instead of the room on the other side of the house. Our bedroom is pretty much at the bottom of the steps. I think for a house I love, I'll deal with a few months of steps in the night. A house is a long term purchase, whereas your baby waking up and needing you at night is short term. If it gets to be too much, until STTN, you can sleep in the nursery, or have LO sleep in a pnp downstairs. I'm rather minimalist, so I disagree with needing double supplies for up and downstairs. Just think of your trips up and down and your exercise Wink
  • Options

As long as you have the option of being on the same floor as LO, it will probably be fine. I think it would be a bigger PITA to run up and downstairs to tend to the baby (who will likely get you out of bed a number of times during the night) then going downstairs to the bathroom. Plus, chances are good that you'll feel safer with LO close to you.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend it.  We had this situation in our old house and I refused to look at a house where we weren't all sleeping on the same floor when we moved.  I had 2 kids over the that time period.  Honestly, when they were newborns or in a crib it didn't bother me as much.  DD was in our room for 6mo (she was born 2mo premature) and DS for 4mo b/c I didn't want to run up and down stairs all the time.  The biggest problem for us came when we moved DD to a big bed and she was out and up and down the stairs to our room all night and b/w the two we were going up and down all night.  I just had my 3rd and love being on the same floor as all my kids.
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • Options
    this was all such helpful advice!  Thanks ladies!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"