Baby Showers
Options

Baby Girl Shower -Minus the pink!

OK, so I'm co-hosting a shower for my  friend who just found out she's having a girl.  I know that she can't stand the color pink and is completely avoiding pink for the nursery.  While I know she will be thankful for any gifts, I am sure deep down that she would prefer colors other than pink.  Is it weird if I do an anti pink  theme shower?  I was thinking of saying something on the invites like:

Girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice,

but who needs to think that the answer is pink?

_______________'s Anti Pink Shower   (or ____'s Pink-Free Affair)

Is this rude?  It it cheesey?  Should I just let people get what they want to get and have my friend suck it up?  If you do like it (or don't mind it), do you have any other suggestions for the poem portion?

ETA: Another issue I have is for the guests.  I don't know about everyone else, but when I get an invite that says something like "bring diapers for a raffle" or "bring a book for the baby's library" I sometimes forget about that by the time the shower rolls around.  I'm thinking people may buy pink stuff and feel embarrassed at her shower when they realize/remember there's no pink.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Girl Shower -Minus the pink!

• Options

I like the "pink free" not the anti... "ANTI" sounds bad... 

I'm right there with her... I'm having a girl, and am not a huge fan of pink... my shower and nursery is all about purple... :)

I don't think it's rude or anything. It's honest 

Taylor Leanne Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    You can say "pink-free" but people will buy pink if they want anyway.  Some people (the fiesty type) may even buy tons of pink - just because you said not too (they may not really get that she doesn't like it).  All in all you can try, but ultimately your friend is just going to have to deal with what she gets.  She can always take the pink clothes back if she wants to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebrinalynne@gmail.com:

I like the "pink free" not the anti... "ANTI" sounds bad... 

I'm right there with her... I'm having a girl, and am not a huge fan of pink... my shower and nursery is all about purple... :)

I don't think it's rude or anything. It's honest 

This!  I think some people might actually find this fun and cute.

• Options

FWIW- Is would do something cute like, "Just as chic without the pink!" type theme. You could do yellow or purple. I think that creme and an espresso brown (maybe something lacey?) would look great.

I wouldn't use "anti" anywhere in there. You could do something cute like a runway theme or a boutique theme (this allows for more color usage). 

• Options
    image*LuckyMermaid*:

FWIW- Is would do something cute like, "Just as chic without the pink!" type theme. You could do yellow or purple. I think that creme and an espresso brown (maybe something lacey?) would look great.

I wouldn't use "anti" anywhere in there. You could do something cute like a runway theme or a boutique theme (this allows for more color usage). 

I think that's a really cute phrase.  If I were to receive an invite like this, I wouldn't be offended at all.  Certainly, though, there will probably be plenty of folks who will buy pink anyway. 

I think your concern for people who may be embarassed by their pink gifts at the shower is very valid.  I'm not really sure how to handle that problem.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry about the guests, if the dont read the whole invite or just buy pink anyhow, they deserve to feel just a tad bit embarrassed. But no one will make a big issue of it, and they will be more willing to give up their gift receipts to mom so she can return an outfit she is obviously not going to put on her kid.
  • Options
    I would put something on the invite that the nursery colors are purple, etc.. For my shower the hosts have put our nursery colors, as we are team green and it may help people decide what colors of clothes, decor items to purchase. My colors are chocolate and lime.
  • Options

I LOVE it!  I'm all about avoiding pink and blue myself whether it be a boy or girl (we haven't founf out yet).  I'm a green, purple, cream, white, yellow kind of girl.

Say pink-free rather than anti.

If I got an invite with a poem like that, I would think it's cute.  I'd smile and happily buy some lilac crib sheets or yellow dresses.  :)

Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options
    image*LuckyMermaid*:

Yes

• Options
    My friend dislikes pink, so for her shower I put a note to remind the guests. She got cute purple outfits instead :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"