North Dakota Babies
Options

Catholicism Question

My mom and I were talking last night about how older nuns used to take the names of saints even if they were masculine names, like Sister Michael for example. Anybody know why this is? Or why nuns changed their name at all (and don't anymore)?

Re: Catholicism Question

• Options
    I believe that it has the same significance as when you receive the sacraments of baptism and confirmation, where you take a name.  It symbolizes beginning a new life.  In baptism, you are welcomed into the church, in confirmation, you become an adult in the church and in Holy Orders (becoming a nun), you are turning your life over to serve God.  I believe that nuns are able to suggest their own name, which may have significance to them but it must be approved by whomever is their superior in the order.  For instance, my middle name is my baptismal name and it's Marie, which is my grandmother's name.  My confirmation name is Elizabeth, which is my aunt/godmother/confirmation sponser's name.  As for why some nuns take male names, I have no clue.  I also wasn't aware that changing of the names wasn't done anymore.
  • Options
    I work for a mainly Catholic organization...I'll ask my co-worker who knows everything and anything Catholic.  I'll let you know what he says on Monday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd love to hear the Catholic explanation also..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"