Postpartum Depression

is anyone else's problem more anxiety than anything?

I am definitely needing some help with depression (and even admitting that makes me want to cry, as I have many times today), but mainly I think so much about SIDS specifically that I'm almost convinced every time I put LO down that he is going to die in his sleep.

I got the Angelcare monitor (and have had a number of false alarms, likely due to a faulty sensor pad that they're replacing), and that helps a lot, but I obsess and I was just as bad during pregnancy. I have had anxiety issues my whole life, and it just occurred to me that maybe if I get help/medication, I will be able to function without feeling terrified every second of every day.

Does anyone else have these issues? Does anyone know what I can do to feel better faster? I feel like a horrible mother who doesn't want to engage with her child because I love him so much that if (and in my mind, when) I lose him I feel like I would die. 

Re: is anyone else's problem more anxiety than anything?

• At first my depression was worse, but for a while it has been anxiety. I worried about people thinking I was a bad mom, being alone with DD, DD crying in public, DD crying in general, if she was breathing, putting her on a schedule and many more things. Xanax helped at first, but now my psychiatrist put me on a "mood-stabilizer" because she thinks I had some anxiety/ocd "tendencies" before I even got pg, and it just got worse now. So the medication helps, but what has really helped me is therapy. My psychiatrist is helping me learn that avoiding situations that increase my anxiety is no longer good for me and is creating a bad habit. So now I take a small break from DD, chill out and then come back to her calmly. It's hard to sort of talk myself down, but it's getting better every day. Different things work for different people but that's what has helped me. Good luck to you :)
    DD 12/1/2009
    TTC#2 Since May 2012
    Dx PCOS February 2013 on Metformin 1500 mg
    Met with RE October 2013, we've got a plan!
    Surprise BFP on "break cycle" 10/12/13. EDD 6/17/14.
    MMC discovered 11/25/13 at 10 weeks. D&C 11/27/13.
    BFP 2/8/14 Beta#1: 176, Prog 18! Beta#2:335, Prog, 19.5!
    EDD 10/16/2014

• My PPD was anxiety based - I was nervous and scared about everything to the point where I was short of breath most days and could not sleep. I was paralyzed in fear most days. I saw a therapist who put me on a low dose of Lexapro which worked wonders for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I had post partum depression and I have a condition called Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It is a condition when a person constantly worries and has anxiety all the time,even though they may not want to feel this way. Ways to help with this are medication. I still take Zoloft now because I never want to go back to worrying constantly. Now that I know what it's like not to worry I never want to go back. Plus eating healthy, limiting caffeiene, exercising and maybe even some therapy would help. I would suggest you go see your OB or family doctor as soon as possible. Depression and anxiety medications can take 6 weeks to take full effect. I know how you feel, the first 2 months of my daughters life I feel like I missed because I was paralyzed by worry. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGina418:
    My PPD was anxiety based - I was nervous and scared about everything to the point where I was short of breath most days and could not sleep. I was paralyzed in fear most days. I saw a therapist who put me on a low dose of Lexapro which worked wonders for me.

Wow this is me exactly and I started lexapro...hope I have success like you've had.  Thanks for giving me hope!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.raisinghopehappinessandlucas.typepad.com 37 and dx with DOR...just fabulous
  • imageGina418:
    My PPD was anxiety based - I was nervous and scared about everything to the point where I was short of breath most days and could not sleep. I was paralyzed in fear most days. I saw a therapist who put me on a low dose of Lexapro which worked wonders for me.

This is how I am during this pregnancy. I did have PPD/A with DD but not to the extreme I feel during my pregnancy.  I am on Prozac and mostly have good days though still have a rough one here and there.  They tell me I am very sensitive to the pregnancy hormones.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"