Postpartum Depression

Help with getting others to understand

Hi Ladies

I have prenatal depression and I have started seeing a therapist and have an appointment with a psychologist who specializes in treating it. But my problem is my baby's father (he was my boyfriend but we are separated right now). I don't know how to get him to understand how I was acting was because of the depression and it wasn't me. I tried sending him articles and explaining my situation to him but nothing is working. He says he doesn't know if he can trust me now because when I was really bad and at my worse I left to go stay with my sister because I freaked out. I was also told that I have a higher risk of PPD and not having his support now and the thought of having PPD and not having his support then is making it even worse for me. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? How did some of your s/o handle your prenatal depression or ppd? 

Thanks! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
"There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Re: Help with getting others to understand

• i'd take him to your next appointment.  PPD is mental illness, not just a sad feeling.  if hearing it from a health professional doesn't help him understand then you need to re-configure your support team with people who will actually SUPPORT you. 

speaking of support, i found a PPD support group to be so very helpful.  there were some PG ladies there so it's not just for those who've given birth.  google around or ask your dr if there is one near you.

((hugs))

• I agree with the PP. You HAVE to surround yourself with people who are supportive, this is something that doesn't just go away on it's own. I spent way too long talking with a friend who was unsupportive and I think it made my situation worse. I think having him come to your next appt. is such a good idea, if he is willing. My DH came to an appt with me and said afterwards he understood so much better.
    DD 12/1/2009
    TTC#2 Since May 2012
    Dx PCOS February 2013 on Metformin 1500 mg
    Met with RE October 2013, we've got a plan!
    Surprise BFP on "break cycle" 10/12/13. EDD 6/17/14.
    MMC discovered 11/25/13 at 10 weeks. D&C 11/27/13.
    BFP 2/8/14 Beta#1: 176, Prog 18! Beta#2:335, Prog, 19.5!
    EDD 10/16/2014

• Loading the player...
  • I had a lot of problems with this. My husband thought I just simply need to relax and my depression would go away. I go to a psychiatrist and take medication for my anxiety and depression. My husband still doesn't agree with it, but I have learned to accept that he may never will. I get support from my mom, aunt and a friend if I am having issues about depression. I would find a group of people to support you during hard times. Hopefully your significant other will come around
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"