3rd Trimester
Options

Carseat in the middle seat - mirror?

We installed our car seat base this weekend and decided we wanted it in the middle as we were able to install it easily and correctly (based on the indicator being in the "green" zone) and we feel it is safer.  Only issue - there is no headrest in the middle so is there any way to attach a mirror to be able to see the baby from the front while driving?

Re: Carseat in the middle seat - mirror?

• Options
    I used the FP mirror with the little monkey head attached to it lol. It wasn't perfect and it wobbled around alot but I was mostly able to just get her face in it and I was happy! lol
  • Options

They tell you in the safety classes not to have one of those mirrors b/c it can fly off in an accident and hurt the baby (or you). 

Also, the safest place for the carseat is where your car manual says to put it.  We thought we wanted ours in the middle but our car only had LATCH hooks located on the side seats.  So we have our carseat in the back behind the passenger seat.  It also makes it easier for getting baby in and out of the car, otherwise we'd have to crawl in the car to put her in the middle.  Just my two cents.  :)

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Interesting point on the safety issue, that makes sense.  My car is designed to have the carseat in any of the backseats - I have 3 sets of latches and because the middle one is flat and the side ones are bucket seats it was actually much easier to install in the middle.  Def going to be a PIA to get in and out but I would rather have it be safer...
  • Options
    My cousin thats a Fire Fighter took the certification class for car seat installation and he told me not to get the mirrors or even the window shades, they arent safe. You never know when they can fall off and suffocate the baby or hit the baby. If you arent sure about where your carseat should be, you might want to see if your local police department or fire dept, has anyone certified, so they can make sure your car seat is installed correctly.
  • Options

With the conversation about safety..

My dad always tells this story about my older brother making this sound like he was choking in the back seat, my mom was driving, and her instinct was to make sure he was still able to breathe, so she turned around to check him, and they almost went off the road.  While I certainly judge her and think it was a stupid move on her part, I've never been in that situation.

I don't think any of us know how we'd react in a similar situation, but I think having a mirror to make sure everything is alright w/o having to turn around is the safer option in this situation.

• Options
    imageshotzie:

They tell you in the safety classes not to have one of those mirrors b/c it can fly off in an accident and hurt the baby (or you). 

Also, the safest place for the carseat is where your car manual says to put it.  We thought we wanted ours in the middle but our car only had LATCH hooks located on the side seats.  So we have our carseat in the back behind the passenger seat.  It also makes it easier for getting baby in and out of the car, otherwise we'd have to crawl in the car to put her in the middle.  Just my two cents.  :)

just an FYI, but LATCH doesn't make it safer.  LATCH is supposed to be easier to use than the seat beat, but not safer.  So the middle with the seat belt is much safer than LATCH on the side.  We have an SUV and even though I have to crawl in there to get my son it's worth it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Diddo the safety info about the mirror.  They're not recommended b/c they can become a projectile object that injures baby. 

The safest place is in the middle whether latch or the seat belt is used.  The car could be hit from either side and this puts baby as far away from direct impact as possible.  Of course with more than one child you can't put them both there!

DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • Options
    imageKelly-renee:

I don't think any of us know how we'd react in a similar situation, but I think having a mirror to make sure everything is alright w/o having to turn around is the safer option in this situation.

I agree.  I think its incredibly unsafe to turn around to check on your baby.  The risks of you getting into any serious enough wreck where the mirror will detach and become a risk of flying into your baby are--to me--far less than the risks resulting when I have to turn around to check on the baby while I'm driving. 

Same thing with the infant head supports, for example.  It is far riskier, in my opinion, to have your baby's head flopping around for weeks on end, than whatever "risk" there is in having that padding in there in the incredibly unlikely event you get into a serious wreck.  

I understand the concerns, but I also think that the "safety" opinion on these sorts of things is very often one-sided and forgets the practical purposes for those products. 

• Options
    CHP didn't want a mirror because it's distracting to you while you're driving
  • Options
    imageshotzie:

This.

• Options
    imageshotzie:

Safest is still the middle (without LATCH) 2nd safest is the driver's side because the driver will maneuver the car to protect themselves in an accident.
  • Options
    We were told by the fire department that the safest place is either in the midlle (#1) or on th epassenger side in the back.  They said most side impact accidents hit the driver's side.  Makes sense...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"