High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lovenox Shots

I have been taking Lovenox since 8 weeks.  One 40mg shot a day.  But, it hurts (still) and my husband has to do them.  I just can't make myself do it!!  Well, now he has to go on a business trip.  So, do you have any tips/tricks to "just do it"? 

TIA!

Re: Lovenox Shots

• Options
    im 37 weeks and now on heparin and still do not give myself shots. When bf was in florida i iced extra long (so it was really numb) and just did it. You can do it!!!!! GL!
  • Options

The first time I had to give myself the lovenox, I told my husband it might take me 1 minute or 1 hour to get up the nerve to do it! I took the "just do it" approach and just did it without thinking about it too much. I started giving myself the Lovenox from the beginning because I knew if DH was out of town I'd have trouble. 

Good luck!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

After my DH did my first shot and left me in excruciating pain and bleeding down my tummy.....I started doing them myself! =)

I've found that if I do it sitting down, an pinch the skin just enough to get a little "give" I'm okay.  In fact, I try a couple spots -- just touching the needle to my skin -- to see where I get the least sensation.  And I don't ever poke the needle in fast, I kind of place the tip down, then wiggle the needle in a bit....

It's hard to explain; sorry.  But you just might find that once you get up the nerve to actually do it, you might find it easier to self-inject.  Good luck!

m/c feb 07 ~ m/c twins oct 08 ~ Duncan Thomas: born to heaven 5/19/09 - m/c jan 11

My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I ice before, choose a site a little higher on the love handle, and just do it...you might even find it hurts less when you do it yourself.  I don't know why, but mine sometimes hurt more when DH does them for me.
  • Options
    Push the lovenox in slowly. You can do it. GL!                                                                                             
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options
    I can relate to the fear.  I had quite a phobia where shots were concerned before my first pregnancy.  When told that I would have to do daily Lovenox injections, I actually tried to negotiate with the high risk doctor.  It became very clear, though, that this would be my best chance of having a healthy baby and not losing it.  My husband travels a handful of times a year and leaves early on a regular basis, so I decided that I should just start giving my own injections from the beginning.  Honestly, the first day I had myself so worked up that I tried to give it, failed and had to lay down because I almost passed out.  I am not what anyone would ever consider to be a weak personality, so I finally decided this was a mental thing and I needed to suck it up.  I reminded myself that, if I didn't do it and lost the baby, I would never forgive myself knowing that there was something I could have done and chose not to do.  I am now 36w with my second and have given myself the injections throughout both pregnancies.  I find that icing just delays the inevitable and I just want to get it over with, but do whatever works for you.  It certainly is a method successfully used by many on this board.  Good luck!  You can do it!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I think you are right.  I just have to saddle up and do it.  And redness, you are right, I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't do it and something happened.  I've come this far (15w1d), and I am determined to do whatever it takes!
  • Options
    I have only been doing them for a week, but did have Arixtra shots postpartum with DD, shots don't bother me, but when I am feeling hesitation, I remind myself that there are people who do drugs everyday and put needles everywhere, I can surely survive a 5 minute pinch and burn for my baby. GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"