Northern California Babies
Options

Baby food question

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but Caden used to eat any baby food...

If your baby refuses a type of baby food (let's say green beans), do you toss that whole jar out and give him/ her s'thing else that night.  Then try again the green beans down the road?  Or try again the next night?  I know w/ older kids, if they don't like what is in front of them, it is okay to not give them another option, but I feel like I should for Alana to be sure she gets s'thing.  Input?

TIA!

Re: Baby food question

• Options

Well i have not done it yet, but if I was at work, I would say it's fine to try something else at this age, maybe one other thing. And even for older kids, there can be another option that they like, like yogurt or cereal. The key thing is just to not get in a habit of making  a bunch of different dinners for each person and catering too much to pickiness. I would probably wait before trying the thing she didn't like so she will sort of forget she didn't like it. Maybe a week or something like that. 

Also at her age, she is mostly still getting her nutrition primarily from BM or formula so it's not a huge deal if she skips a "meal".  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageamyfelice:

Well i have not done it yet, but if I was at work, I would say it's fine to try something else at this age, maybe one other thing. And even for older kids, there can be another option that they like, like yogurt or cereal. The key thing is just to not get in a habit of making  a bunch of different dinners for each person and catering too much to pickiness. I would probably wait before trying the thing she didn't like so she will sort of forget she didn't like it. Maybe a week or something like that. 

Also at her age, she is mostly still getting her nutrition primarily from BM or formula so it's not a huge deal if she skips a "meal".  

Ditto this.  I'd say keep offering it but don't push it. 

How are you K?  :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When M would refuse a food, I would put the jar in the fridge (I never fed a new food straight from the jar for just this reason) and offer something I knew he liked. I'd still offer the new food again for the next couple days then move on to something different and re-introduce the rejected food again in a couple weeks.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagetri_bride05:
    When M would refuse a food, I would put the jar in the fridge (I never fed a new food straight from the jar for just this reason) and offer something I knew he liked. I'd still offer the new food again for the next couple days then move on to something different and re-introduce the rejected food again in a couple weeks.

This is what I lean towards, since I would have to toss the whole jar... so may as well get 3 tries out of it.  But- this lead to another question.... is it really that important to toss a jar if you feed directly from it?  I mean- if I eat directly out of a yogurt or ice cream (hypotheticlly- not for real, of course ;)  then put it back, I'll eat from it later.  Is that really bad??

• Options
    imageKellina71:

imagetri_bride05:

This is what I lean towards, since I would have to toss the whole jar... so may as well get 3 tries out of it.  But- this lead to another question.... is it really that important to toss a jar if you feed directly from it?  I mean- if I eat directly out of a yogurt or ice cream (hypotheticlly- not for real, of course ;)  then put it back, I'll eat from it later.  Is that really bad??

I don't think there's much risk for adults, but babies are more sensitive to smaller amounts of bacteria.  I was stricter about this when E was younger... now I'll sometimes re-feed something in less than 24 hours that he's eaten from.  But usually I use another bowl and scoop it out into that before feeding.

• Options
    imagegreen*eyes:
    imageKellina71:

imagetri_bride05:

I don't think there's much risk for adults, but babies are more sensitive to smaller amounts of bacteria.  I was stricter about this when E was younger... now I'll sometimes re-feed something in less than 24 hours that he's eaten from.  But usually I use another bowl and scoop it out into that before feeding.

Okay- that makes sense!  Thanks!  :)

And- amygrace... things are good!! Although C isn't napping as well.  Uggh.  AND YOU!?!?!?!?  We HAVE to plan s'thing SOON!

• Options
    The only thing I have to add is that I've read that it can take 9-11 exposures for a kid to accept a new food so to keep trying.  Not that you have to just keep feeding that to them but don't give up on it either.
  • Options

Riley will eat any fruit, but the only veggie she eats is sweet potatoes.

I have tried other stuff and just throw it out and give her sweet potatoes.

I have started mixing food with sweet potatoes to try and trick her, 3/4 sweet potatoes, 1/4 peas, etc.  It doesn't have a 100% success rate, but it works sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"