Northern California Babies
Options

preschool. dudes, this search is scary!

I just started looking for a preschool for C.  He'll be 19 months on Monday and I was sort of hoping for 2 mornings a week to start sometime this year (like spring, summer or fall). I could do three part days, or two whole days in place of gramma care. 

The biggest issue is that three of the ones I like at first glance have open houses and enrollment LOTTERIES next week.  As in Sunday and Monday.  I'm behind before I even begin!

Am I crazy or is the process crazy?  And how the heck does the time go by so fast? 

And have any of my SBers been to the Campbell Child Development Center for a tour?  It sounds awesome, the schedule options are great, and their price is reasonable I think so I'm hoping that in person it doesn't suck.

Re: preschool. dudes, this search is scary!

• Options
    It IS overwhelming and scary. We were very lucky to have a wonderful school recommended to us by one of DH's coworkers. They had a Mommy and Me class before the two day preschool class so Ty was able to get used to the school, the playground, and the teachers which made leaving him there for the first time so much easier. The Mommy and Me class also guaranteed us a spot in the next year's class. It is crazy how impacted some schools are!! Already. Sigh.
  • Options

Yup, the process is crazy. And time totally flies.

I don't know anything about the Campbell place -- I only went to the SC Library Pre School Open house, and narrowed the type of preschool down from there (plus I missed some deadlines, too!) Sometimes there are openings after the lotteries, so you may want to put your name on the waiting list if you really like a school.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, I've had to get on waiting lists before I even see the school (word of mouth is big here but I want to see the places first hand). We're looking for next fall and I don't know that we'll get in anywhere....:(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageshnelly:

Yup, the process is crazy. And time totally flies.

I don't know anything about the Campbell place -- I only went to the SC Library Pre School Open house, and narrowed the type of preschool down from there (plus I missed some deadlines, too!) Sometimes there are openings after the lotteries, so you may want to put your name on the waiting list if you really like a school.

Library preschool open house?? That sounds awesome!  Which library?

• Options

imageMrs.K&C:
    Yup, I've had to get on waiting lists before I even see the school (word of mouth is big here but I want to see the places first hand). We're looking for next fall and I don't know that we'll get in anywhere....:(

I thought with the economy it wasn't so competetive. Bummer : (

• Options

Ah yes, the preschool search...You know, even though I was on waiting lists and told 2009-2010 was filled up I got into 4 preschools.  People are always moving, changing where they're gonna go etc. 

I started my search in Jan 2009, decided to put Emmy in a school in Jan 2010, but then got panicked when someone told me that you NEED to start them in Sept or else you wouldn't get in anywhere.  So I started seriously interviewing places in August and got into a place on Sept. 1st.  And this place had a wait list, told me they were full for the year.  I also had an option for a spot in 3 other preschools as well as a month after I started a place got a call about an opening for my 2nd choice.  So long story short, I found and enrolled my daughter in a month.  You never know what you'll find.

• Options
    This makes me feel so much better!  Thank you!
  • Options
    I think you just happened to hit the time when all preschools are doing their open houses and taking enrollments for fall. I would take your time finding something you like then apply. Sounds like your scheduling and timing requirements are pretty flexible so hopefully even if you're waitlisted it wouldn't be a long wait. Plus a lot of people apply at numerous places so even if they fill all their slots, people are bound to drop out as it gets closer to the start time. Fortunately there are a lot of options around us so that makes the schools a little easier to get into.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"