D.C. Area Babies
Options

deliver at Inova Fairfax? Hospital bag question....

Wondering what you needed and what they provided at the hospital for you and LO....since there are no maternity tours now due to H1N1 I can't ask:(

What did you have in your hospital bag and what did you count on them supplying?

My Blog
DS 2/23/10
DD 7/31/2012
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: deliver at Inova Fairfax? Hospital bag question....

• Options

I delivered at Inova - Fair Oaks.  I went the two bag route..for LD I had nothing really but toothbrush etc, and pillow... DH had a change of clothes.  We brought the computer, movies (I was induced) cell phones, camera (chargers too!)  For PP:  I used the hospital gowns up until my last day, slippers, super comfy to-go-home clothes, big robe, flip flops for the shower.  For DS I brought his THG outfit.  Otherwise they had everything for him and they let you take anything that isn't linen (though I pinched a few receiving blankets) including diapers, wipes, petrolum jelly (for circumcisons) and pads and stuff for you.

I would suggest the less is more approach!

GL 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I delivered at Innova Alexandria, and they provided everything DS needed while he was there -- diapers, wipes, petroleum jelly, binky, shirts, blanket, nose sucker, baby was.  The only thing I brought for him was a coming-home outfit.  They even sent me home with all of that, plus formula samples.

For me, they had everything I needed, but for my comfort, I brought my own towel, a bathrobe, makeup, a lap quilt, a boppy, hair dryer, and travel toiletries.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I delivered at Inova Fairfax.  They definitely provided everything for the baby, so you don't really need much but a going-home outfit and of course the car seat.

I was SO HOT most likely from hormones after my c-section and didn't feel comfortable until I changed out of  the hospital gowns and into my own cotton, sleeveless gown.  They will provide you with anything you need to clean yourself but if you like to use your own stuff then be sure to bring that.  We packed the camera and the laptop but their wireless is REALLY slow .. . still it works.  My feet were really swollen for a few days and I had some pseudo-Crocs that I used to walk around outside of my room but I probably would have been better off with flip-flops.  I delivered in September, mind you.  I wore home the outfit that I came to the hospital in.  I also had a small pillow at home that came in quite handy.  They even let me take it to the operating room which was nice and unexpected.  I did have my Boppy too for feeding her.  Less is definitely more.  Don't bother with pads and/or undies.  You'll use theirs.

• Options

I delivered at Fairfax and will this second time too.  For DS I didn't need anything other than his going home outfit.  I also started hoarding everything they provided and took it all home.  As for me I kept asking for extras of things they provided and brought those home too.

As far as what I took I brought a change of clothes.  I stayed in the hospital gown the whole time, but this time might bring something to put on as I look at the pictures of me while I was there and cringe.  I think I'll also bring my own towel because their towels are so small and thin.  I would also bring whatever toiletries you might normally use as if you were staying somewhere that doesn't provide anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options

I delivered at fair oaks and brought WAY more than I needed.  The only things I really needed was 2 outfits( i got out of the gown as soon as I showered) and lots of people were taking pics and I kinda cared a bit..haha

nice slipper socks, flip flops for the shower, nursing tank, boppy pillow, change of clothes for DH, shampoo, toothbrush, any other toiletries.  I brought tons of undies bc I knew i would bleed in them, but i just ended up using thie provided ones and same with teh washcloths.

for lo, just a coming home outfit and I brought another onsie too to have the other day before we came home.   

I too took everything they provided for DH and took 2 receiving blankets too even though they said we weren't supposed to. Who doesn't take those???;-) 

• Options
    imagedoggylovr:

I too took everything they provided for DH and took 2 receiving blankets too even though they said we weren't supposed to. Who doesn't take those???;-) 

I delivered in FFX and basically took everything that wasn't nailed down when I left. We also took some burp clothes.

As for what to bring, all the PPs covered it pretty well. A going home outfit for the baby, and whatever you need to be comfortable (toiletries, cell phone charger, laptop). I didn't wear any clothes of my own while I was there - I think I even wore their socks with treads.

• Options
    awesome girls!!  That helps soo much in packing the bag!!!
    My Blog
    DS 2/23/10
    DD 7/31/2012
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrs.Ram:
    imagedoggylovr:

I delivered in FFX and basically took everything that wasn't nailed down when I left. We also took some burp clothes.

As for what to bring, all the PPs covered it pretty well. A going home outfit for the baby, and whatever you need to be comfortable (toiletries, cell phone charger, laptop). I didn't wear any clothes of my own while I was there - I think I even wore their socks with treads.

yeah we did not take those because they said NOT to, the signs on the walls in the room say NOT to and um...that is just plain stealing. So...no we did not take them home. We took what we were given with each child.

The only thing they did not have that I needed BOTH times was breast pads. I was there 12 days with both girls and milk came in after only 12 hours after each c-section. I was leaking all over the place!

• Options
    Ditto the breast pads. My milk didn't come in, but I was leaking colostrum like crazy. Lacation sold me some, but they were the expensive, washable kind without a waterproof baking, so I would just leak thru them. Ugh. Also, I brought my own underwear, cheap Walmart underwear that was a lot more comfortable than the mesh panties.
  • Options
    imageJARbaby:
    imageMrs.Ram:
    imagedoggylovr:

yeah we did not take those because they said NOT to, the signs on the walls in the room say NOT to and um...that is just plain stealing. So...no we did not take them home. We took what we were given with each child.

The only thing they did not have that I needed BOTH times was breast pads. I was there 12 days with both girls and milk came in after only 12 hours after each c-section. I was leaking all over the place!

Oh, I stole breast pads. I don't breastfeed, but you know, I'm obviously a kleptomaniac.
  • Options

The only thing I would add is to bring a Boppy pillow or something if you plan on BFing.  Otherwise pp's have covered it.

BTW- we were treated GREAT there.  Everyone there was fantastic and don't hesitat to ask for anything.  It took me a little time to get used to the idea of allowing someone else to help but the nurses and everyone were just wonderful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For the record we did not take the recieving blankets either. I know lots of people do but honestly I don't understand...they are usually pretty thin and not so soft anymore. if you like the size (they are perfect for swaddling), they are 30X40 inches, these blankets are the same size and a million times better: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3643854
  • Options

imageMrs.Ram:
    Oh, I stole breast pads. I don't breastfeed, but you know, I'm obviously a kleptomaniac.
    Since they do not have them to steal apparently you lie too?Wink

You asked who does not take the blankets? The answer...people who don't steal. Unless they said you could have them. Inova FFX makes it clear that you can't. Just sayin'.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"