Health & Exercise
Options

P90X while pg?

I just started P90X about two weeks ago and just got my first BFP on Sat, 01/23/10! Is anyone else doing P90X while pg? I am afraid the Plyometrics might be a little much??? I was not trying to lose weight...just trying to firm up. TIA!

P.S. I am not taking any of the shakes, supplements, etc...only prenatals for me =0) 

Re: P90X while pg?

• Options
    I do!!!  Im on my 3rd round of p90x.  Once I got past the 1st round, I have only done the lifting.  you CAN NOT do pullups.  My doctor and another nurse couldnt stress that enough.  SO on "back" days I do different back exercises.  They also told me no abs so i dnt do ab ripper anymore.  Instead of real pushups I do wall pushups.  Since you have only done plyo 2x before you were pregnant, I would not do it.  They say never to add anything new.  Plyo is so intense and I dont think you should do it...maybe if you had been doing it for months, but not only 2x.  I hope this helps!  O yea...and I also use slightly lighter weights for some of the exercises that really work my core.  And I am not core synergistics anymore either.
  • Options
    I do it some, too! I was just starting out when I got PG so I only did the plyo a few more times and decided I would stop that. I love doing the Kenpo, though! I don't find it too intense. I haven't done alot of the weight segments, just arms and shoulders and have so many other prenatal and non prenatal videos that I like that I have really only done the Kenpo on a regular basis. I say do it as long as you can but don't push it too much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks girls! I would never have thought that pull-ups are bad...yikes. I am using the light tension band so hopefully that isnt too much. I am def going to stop the plyo...it really just feels like it is too intense. I really thought I was going to get my beach body but baby is def better =) thx again. 
  • Options

Why did your doctor say no pullups? I'm 27 weeks and I've been doing them all along... according to my doc, I can do anything I've been doing, as long as I pay attention to my HR.

Anyway, I am not terribly familiar with P90X specifically, but other than the fact that you shouldn't START anything new when pregnant, there's no reason not to do plyo's if you'd already gotten comfortable with them.

• Options

I've been doing P90X for 2 years and love it.  I don't follow the program just customize what workouts are right for me.  The Cardio is awesome as it has a great stretch and only 15 mins of Plyo.

I won't continue the Plyo anymore as I think it's a bit to much high jumping and jerky movements.

I am going to continue with switching the weight lifting one's throughout the week with 4 resistance training workouts a week.

I have noticed that the more I workout the better I feel.

Listen to your body!

• Options
    imageSugarnear:

Why did your doctor say no pullups? I'm 27 weeks and I've been doing them all along... according to my doc, I can do anything I've been doing, as long as I pay attention to my HR.

Anyway, I am not terribly familiar with P90X specifically, but other than the fact that you shouldn't START anything new when pregnant, there's no reason not to do plyo's if you'd already gotten comfortable with them.

This.  Except my dr didn't tell me to monitor my heart rate at all.  With the exception of bikram yoga (which I don't do) he said it is fine to continue any workout regimen you were doing prior to becoming pregnant.  I ran up until 28 weeks (and only stopped bc I was having a lot of ligament cramping after running), and am still doing 35-40 minutes of intense cardio 4x a week and weights. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"