3rd Trimester
Options

Has anyone stopped shaving down there? I got this in a hospital newsletter.

No need to shave
If you are in the habit of shaving your pubic hair, or near it, AORN, the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, recommends that you stop at this point until after your baby is born. Shaving and other hair removal techniques can occasionally traumatize the skin and lead to infections. If a cesarean section is required, or any other procedure that might require hair removal, the removal should be done at that time according to the hospital?s policies and procedures.

Yikes! I'm not sure if I can go without shaving for 2 months.

Re: Has anyone stopped shaving down there? I got this in a hospital newsletter.

• Options
    I haven't stopped...don't plan on it either.
  • Options
    My OB told me the same thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is not happening. I hate hair down there. It totally grosses me out and in the case that I don't have a c/s (fingers crossed) I don't want to have all that mess to contend with.
  • Options
    Interesting but my doc never said anything so I will continue to shave...probably only be able to once more without hurting myself :)
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    I stopped shaving a while ago, SO actually doesn't like it clean shaven. I prefer it well groomed but bc I can't even see down there it's gone wild, way too wild...
  • Options

imageAFWife1229:

Ditto!!! Yes

• Options
    Yea... I wont be stopping - I may not do the best job anymore 'cause I can't see --- but if I go more then 3 days it gets way to itchy for me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't like the 3-6 day post shave stubble.  I trim to an 1/8" instead.
  • Options

hmmmm.....interesting. I can't really see anything down there, but still I'm shaving with a mirror. I'm going to ask my dr about this tomorrow.

What about trimming not shaving? That might work. (Scissors are scary though)

• Options
    I WISH I would get this letter. Then I could stop trying to decide shaven, unshaven, trimmed...
  • Options
    Blehh I hate hair down there! I don't shave as often (used to every day) but I can't take a hairy vag! lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I get mine waxed, and will continue to until the bitter end...
  • Options
    Every time I shave I tell myself this is the last time. Then a week later I look in a mirror and hit the shower. The clipper idea sounds good though, we have a set of clippers for our 'down there trimming' and one for DH and DS heads.
    Effing crazy people.
  • Options
    At the hospitals I have worked in, we switched to clippers/trimmers instead of razors for pre-op hair removal.
  • Options
    I trimmed but whatever.  But they had me on the table and had the razor in hand and put it away, I had nothing up where they cut so it was a non issue.  So maybe you will be as lucky and not get any extra hair shaved.  My normal growth pattern worked for my C/S.
  • Options
    I stopped for about a month, and then a few days ago I tried to shave again....it was SOO hard. I'm all gapped up nowEmbarrassed But it feels much better than having all that hair!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagerinny25:
    My OB told me the same thing.

Same here.  I'll shave for the last time sometime this week.

• Options
    I'm not anymore.  I can't see the fur forest and DH doesn't care, so why bother.
  • Options
    oh wow...thats crazy! I never thought they would make you stop! I'm not sure I will stop though.  I haven't been talked to about anything like that and am gonna pretend I had no idea haha 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I went to the dog groomers AKA DH shaved me just last week. Thats it though I won't shave again. I am not a super hairy person so it wont be very overgrown in 5 weeks anyways.
  • Options

i haven't stopped and don't plan to. My sister has had a baby, I have not. She strongly recommended trimming (just between the discharge and then the heavy period, etc). She says it's "gross enough down there, you want to feel clean".  So, I bought a cheap trimmer and LOVE it. I can't see down there anymore, so I can do it "blind". 

https://www.quattroforwomen.com/product_trimstyle.php

• Options
    I just groom around. That is interesting though. I have no problem letting it some until LO is born. 
  • Options
    Whatever, I haven't stopped and won't stop. When I was in labor with dd, the nurse unceremoniously lifted my gown to look at my crotch and said "oh, good! you already shaved!"
  • Options
    imagemanda3987:

imageAFWife1229:

Ditto!!! Yes

YUP, no way. I still shave(clipp) my hoo ha and shave my legs every two weeks can't see down there but I have done it so much I can do it with my eyes closed.

• Options

Um.... no.

I haven't had a full bush since high school and I'm not going to have one when half of the hospital staff could see me.  Nope nope nope.

• Options
    I heard it's fine to shave up to about a week before. You just don't want to have any open cuts down there. 
  • Options
    I can't see down there, so what I can't see, won't hurt me. I'm going au naturale!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I can't even see down there, so when I do try to shave or trim, I'm afraid it looks all jacked up...  On the flip side, I can't stand the hair!!  What to do, what to do?
  • Options

You are some committed ladies!

I think of it a insulation...hee hee... 

• Options
    my OB told me the same thing.  My regimen was to shave every weekend and she cut that when I was about 3 months pregnant.  She suggested I trim with an electric razor.  They scare the crap out of me but I have been using a combo of scissors, electric razor, and regular razor and then had to add a mirrow to see what I'm doing which is getting more and more difficult..may give up as time goes on.
    ~Mel~ Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I haven't stopped... and definitely will Not stop... there is no way I'm going to the hospital with a hairy vag !!
  • Options

Every nurse and MD I work with encourages you to shave! Not wax because of how sensetive the skin is, but to at least shave.

My OB/Gyn recommended it and so did the nurses teaching he classes I've been to.  They say it can be uncomfortable, and smell extremely bad once the blood starts to clot there, and it will get matted as well.

• Options
    oops didn't get the memo....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"