Parenting after 35
Options

Anyone else have a MIL...

that does not want to be left wtih LO?  I guess I am not at all surprised that its that way.  I was just hoping having a baby would kinda soften her up.  

Am I the only one who drew the short straw here?

Re: Anyone else have a MIL...

• Options
    I hope your MIL warms up to the baby soon!  She is soooo cute I don't see how she couldn't. (eta - I didn't like how my first post sounded, had to change it)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm sorry Mari. I hope G softens her up.

I'm really lucky, my MIL is awesome with M.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow. If she's that adverse then maybe it's a blessing in disguise?Still, bummer for you and sad for irresistable little G.

Pretty much everyone in our family can't wait to get their hands on Ada! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • Options

When my MIL visited she didn't want to hold Matt much either. I would ask her and she would say something like "if you need me to..."

• Options

yes, but I think it has more to do with age than anything else.  My MIL is 83 and she does not feel very "comfortable" being left alone with N or even holding him.  It's really a shame as she's perfectly capable of doing it, but she prefers not to....hmmmm, unless she doesn't and won't say.  **pondering**  Hmm

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

See my situation is opposite, my MIL wants to be left alone with H but I won't leave him with her. I know that sounds nasty but the reality is she does everything her way and only her way. She has total disregard for how DH and I parent and everything we do is wrong. DOn't get me wrong I love my MIL but she dismisses everything I say when it comes to H. On Christmas Day she (A) insisted that H needs more formula after he finished a full bottle and I told her he will not take it, he didn't. (B) Told DH that the bottles aren't warm enough and warm it more, (C) kept telling me there is nothing wrong with H when I would mention  the goo that is coming out of his eyes (H has a nasty cold) and how if its still bad on Monday I may take him to the Dr.blah, blah, blah. I could go on. But the #1 reason, because I know what I mentioned above is little, she likes her wine. Alot of it.

Now my step MIL...anyday, anytime she wants. She lives in Chicago though.

• Options
    My MIL doesn't mind being left alone with her, but it's not that I don;t trust her, but she's 78 & has bad arthritus. She is good for entertaining though when we are around. DD loves her already.
  • Options
    I'm more in KD288's camp. My MIL wants to "parent" LO. I'm constantly having to set/reinforce boundaries. My mother however is an awesome G'ma. She is completely comfortable in her role as grandparent.
  • Options

I do not have inlaws, but my own mother isn't all that interested in the actual "baby."   She LOVES to shop for him and spend money on him, but when it comes to actually holding him, she gets bored and usually hands him off right away.

But in hindsight, she was never the "motherly" type with me or my sister, either.  Or with her other grandkids.

Sigh.. it is what it is.

• Options

That describes my mother. No motherly instinct or interest.

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine just left after 4 very long days here.  My MIL was like a freaking helicopter the entire time.  Always hovering, but never engaging.  She held Maddie  a few times but always quickly handed her off for being "too heavy".  My FIL held her once the entire time.  They also never offered to help with anything once while they were here.  They did manage to work in a fair share of "observations" though about how having a 7 week old baby must make it hard to clean and straighten a house.  GRRRRRR!Angry
  • Options

My MIL has an intense fear of flying battling with the need to see her first grandchild.  I think she will love hanging with Margaux once she has the chance. 

My mom was afraid of being alone with the baby when she was here, but it's not because she didn't want to, but because she's 83 and has narcolepsy. 

Little G still might soften her up, as they get to know each other.  I hope so!  

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"