Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Poll: Commonly misused/misunderstood phrases that bug you..

I took this off of MM, btw.

"Mute point" drives me nuts. Nu-cu-lar drives me more nuts (and DH says it all the time).

One common here is when people say "The baby was jaundice", then repeat it a bunch of times, then you know it wasn't a typing mistake.

Re: Poll: Commonly misused/misunderstood phrases that bug you..

• 'Irregardless'

'I'm taking her to the doctors'.   (how many doctors is she seeing today? oh, you mean the doctor's office...)

• the "mute point" for "moot" drives me NUTS.  when i hear it, i automatically tune out b/c i assume the person talking to me is an idiot.  i also don't like "supposably" even though the use of the word is questionable.  it's "supposedly", damnit!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Irregardless.  Not a wod and it drives me nuts!

I am also not a fan of the word shortening - like "fav" or "rents"  I hate it even in texting and emails

• "could OF," "would OF," and "should OF." 

it's have have HAVE!  OMG it drives me NUTS!

• imagefIowerchild:

'Irregardless'

'I'm taking her to the doctors'.   (how many doctors is she seeing today? oh, you mean the doctor's office...)

This was mine as well.

• "That's a whole nother thing". NOTHER is not a word!!!

• imagemamamoos:

"could OF," "would OF," and "should OF." 

OMG, this.  Totally this.

And "baby was jaundice" "that source is bias."  Ug. Yeah, those kill me, too.

• What is moot point? I have never heard that before.

I am horrible with Lie and Lay

I am also horrible with Affect and Effect.

My biggest pet peeve is double negatives. HATE IT

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagemamamoos:

"could OF," "would OF," and "should OF." 

Yes

• imagekipper1128:

Irregardless.  Not a wod and it drives me nuts!

I am also not a fan of the word shortening - like "fav" or "rents"  I hate it even in texting and emails

Ha, I just posted "fav" - sorry!

• imagenbjenni:
    imagekipper1128:

Irregardless.  Not a wod and it drives me nuts!

Ha, I just posted "fav" - sorry!

me too! 

• imageameliahedlund:

What is moot point? I have never heard that before.

I am horrible with Lie and Lay

I am also horrible with Affect and Effect.

My biggest pet peeve is double negatives. HATE IT

a moot point is when something no longer matters.

"My husband and I couldn't find a babysitter, but the concert was cancelled so that is a moot point"

• How has nobody mentioned this one:

"I could care less"

If you'd read it then you'd know it doesn't make sense.  If you don't care about something you couldn't care less about it...could care less makes no sense. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I could care less.

It drives me crazy every time I hear/see it.  It's I couldn't care less!  It seriously doesn't make sense the other way!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The increasingly common usage of "impact" as a verb.  Wrong!

"All of the sudden" or "all the sudden" make me cringe.

• all of  this post...  all of it.

Part of my job description is that I am a proof reader for a print company... people are horrible and it drives me bsc!

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Couldn't care less is my #1

Intents and purposes - someone I know says, "For all intensive purposes"

• imagePattypoundcake:

I took this off of MM, btw.

"Mute point" drives me nuts.

I'm just reminded of Friends where Joey thinks it's a moo point.

The improper use of good and well bug me.  You can't "sing good!"  It's well.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageToledoDeux:

The increasingly common usage of "impact" as a verb.  Wrong!

"All of the sudden" or "all the sudden" make me cringe.

Me, too.

• I can't stand when people say "Drive Safe!"

It's drive safely! 

• When people say "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes" I want to come out of my skin!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I hate when people say "ain't." Like, "I ain't doin that." I also cannot stand when people use "nothing" instead of anything. "I can't buy nothing." I have a mini stroke when people say things similar to "I ain't got nothing!" Oh man.
  • imageAshKStffr:
    "i ain't got none". seriouslly?!? you mean you don't have any? then say it that way!

Haha. I should have read the responses. But SERIOUSLY!!! It kills me!

• when people say, "I'm fixing to go home."

Fixing to?

:dies

• In emails, I don't like gonna, wanna, coulda, shoulda".  I don't mind them in conversation, but over email bugs me
  • "Reverse Racisim." WTF does that even mean? I guess only 1 race holds the racism torch or something.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Everything mentioned bothers me. EXCEPT "could care less". I don't use that phrase, but it bothers me when everyone gets worked up about it because I always learned about it like this:

https://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxcouldc.html?

• Mute/moot

Nuke-you-lar, sim-you-lar

irregardless

all intensive purposes - it's INTENTS AND purposes

Also, double negatives bother me, and the word "ain't."

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • "Split the baby" 

First because I think it is just a gross thought/phase and Second because it is often used in the wrong context.  Solomon used the sentence as a method of determining the child's rightful owner but people use the phrase when what they really mean "split the difference"

• "Rediculous." I never saw this spelling before the nest/bump. Gah!
  • This isn't a phrase, but my husband says "ay" instead of "e" in any word that has an "eg" sound.

Egg? Beg? Pregnant? Aygg, Baygg, Praygnant. Drives me insane, but he can't hear it. It's such a stupid little thing but it bugs me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with all of these but I have one to add. I instantly lose respect for anyone who says "I seen this guy" or "I seen that movie". IT MAKES ME NUTS. You SAW him, you SAW that movie, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!
  • 'Congradulations' or 'Congrads' drives me crazy..

imageKian & Carys image
  • imageABMcKinney:

"That's a whole nother thing". NOTHER is not a word!!!

It's an infix. Basically you're inserting a word into another word, like when people say "Halle-freakin-luja!"  Prescriptivists probably don't like it but linguists find it terribly interesting.

• This is picky, but all my other ones were mentioned (could care less, whole nother thing - those irritate me to no end!)

But I hate when people use "badly" incorrectly, like "I was feeling badly for my friend, so I took her out for ice cream."  No, you were not fumbling around literally feeling for her and you took her out, the proper way is "I was feeling BAD for my friend, so I took her out....."

I wasn't an english major or anything so I have no idea what that mistake is called, but I know it's not right - I had a spanish teacher that would harp on us if we used this incorrectly!  I see it ALL THE TIME on here! 

• imageengaged678:

all of  this post...  all of it.

Part of my job description is that I am a proof reader for a print company... people are horrible and it drives me bsc!

Could you work for me?  I need help with this, in a BAD way! 

• imageannabelle.27:

This isn't a phrase, but my husband says "ay" instead of "e" in any word that has an "eg" sound.

Egg? Beg? Pregnant? Aygg, Baygg, Praygnant. Drives me insane, but he can't hear it. It's such a stupid little thing but it bugs me.

He must be from good 'ole Minnesota!

I read all of your words just like your DH! 

• The one that makes me want to pull my hair out is when people get lose and loose confused. 
  • imageameliahedlund:
    imageannabelle.27:

This isn't a phrase, but my husband says "ay" instead of "e" in any word that has an "eg" sound.

He must be from good 'ole Minnesota!

I read all of your words just like your DH! 

lol or chicago. i say all those words... plus "bayckpayck" and such. :)

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"