Postpartum Depression
Options

Depression before giving birth vs. PPD

Hi Ladies,

Glad this board is here. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with depression before giving birth and then experiencing PPD?  If so, did/does the medication you were on prior to delivering  work for your PPD? I stopped taking my meds while pregnant and decided I had to start up again about 2 mos. after LO arrived but I am noticing that this depression is completely different than my normal depression and the meds are not working as well. I am on Wellbutrin XL for what it's worth.

Anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing?

I also am having a hard time with how different this depression is. It is the first time I have actually really wanted to be happy and can't. For the most part I had come to accept my depression and I used to be fine wallowing in my own self pity (sometimes). Now that LO is here I actually feel like enjoying life but somehow can't seem to figure out how and it is breaking my heart.

TIA

Re: Depression before giving birth vs. PPD

• Options
    I was on Zoloft after my daughter was born.  I went off it and was feeling good until I got pregnant again.  It was a completely different type of thing--my mood wasn't depressed so much, but I felt like I couldn't get my engine to turn over, if that makes sense.  I just had no energy and couldn't get anything done.  The Zoloft helps a lot.  I am planning to stay on it after the birth.  For how long, I'm not sure.
  • Options

I know that depression puts you at higher risk for PPD but they are two different things. I don't have depression but do struggle with anxiety.

Anxiety has been a problem all my life - mostly social anxiety. I got PPA as soon as DD was born and although it was anxiety it was a different form. I was obsessed with something being wrong with my body. That had never been a problem before. So I think that having depression/anxiety puts you at risk for PPD/PPA but that doesn't mean it's going to take the same form. KWIM?

Talk to your doctor about finding a medication that works for you and find a counselor you can talk to.

DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was on 40 mg of prozac before getting pregnant and that is what I am now. It doesn't seem to be helping so I'm going to ask for an increase in medication at my next appointment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"