Postpartum Depression
Options

Why is it worse at night?

It always always always seems to get worse at night. I am suffering from extreme anxiety and panic starting about 4pm each day and lasting all night sometimes. I do have medication for the acute symptoms (klonopin) but I get so tired of feeling like this. My husband and baby are downstairs watching football with some friends, both are perfectly fine, and all I want to do is sob hystericaly because the night is coming and it's so many hours in which something could go wrong. Why I only feel this way at night,I do not know, but I really and truly wish it would go away and go away soon. Anyone else experience this?

Re: Why is it worse at night?

• Options

yep exactly! Mine starts up right when the sun starts going down, I dread the night... it just seems like the night is going to be an eternity and all of DS's issues get worse at night...

My Zoloft is REALLY helping this though! Are you only on anti-anxiety or are you also on an anti-depressant? I think the combo of both would be good because that way the anti-depressant can sublty control your mood during the day and night and if you have any breakthrough anxiety you can take the Klonopin, because I think the anti-anxiety's alone seem to just knock you out like a zombie and the anti-depressants just make me feel like my old self... JMO

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • Options
    I started Zoloft three days ago so I am waiting on it to reach full effectiveness. I only take the Klonopin for acute attacks, when I just cannot take it anymore. The goal is to eventually no longer need the Klonopin and only take the Zoloft until I can wean off of it. The goal seems so far away though, it makes me feel even more desperate!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have cyclical times as well.

Mornings and early afternoons are tough and then for some reason there is a shift in my body by late afternoon into evening and I feel more logical and there is less of the racing fears, thoughts and feelings.

This is without any medication other than the Cymbalta I am on.

I'm scared to go on the Klonopin but I have no choice right now as this is really kicking my ass.

The racing thoughts, fears, worries seem so real to me.  I'm constantly doing "WHAT IF..." also I feel so physically sensitized from the labor and c-section still.

God Bless our sweet baby James. Our son, born 11/22/09. Unplanned, Emergency C-section image
    "Wearing his BING CROSBY clothes and crooning...buuuh buuh buuuh" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I know how you feel about the labour and c-section. I hear people talk about how beautiful their delivery was and all I can think is how very traumatic mine was. I had a failed emergency induction due to low amniotic fluid followed by the emergency C and I swear, it was the scariest, most frightening experience of my life. Knowing how close we were to dying does not help. If things do not get better there, I will be seeking help for PTSD.

Seriously though, the Klonopin does help tremendously! You only have to take it when it gets unbearable. It helps to break that anxiety/panic cycle that builds on itself.  

• Options
    I always get worse during the mornings. I think it is because I'm so tired
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options

It's the hormones and the shock of being a new mom.  I felt the exact same way. 

Anxiety always seems to come on more in the evening, even when it's not from having a baby.  I think there's not as much to distract us.  Plus, when I felt that way after having the baby, a lot had to do with worrying about how he was going to do that night.

Just to let you know that it does get better.  In a few weeks you should be feeling a lot better.  :::hugs::

• Options

My anxiety was always worse at night too. I know it feels like it's never going to get better and that "this is my life now." but it's not. This is just a small small dot of time in your new life with your baby. The zoloft will kick in (took about a month for me to get the full effect but panic attacks stopped after 3 weeks). Sometimes the medication can make the anxiety worse before it gets better so keep that in mind to. Take the klonopin so that you can get enough sleep. Sleep seemed to be a major part of my healing process. Before you know it you will be all whole and healthy and enjoying your baby, and on here helping other new mom's through this. :o)

I just started therapy to help me deal with my birth experience as we are thinking about our second now. it's very enlightening and helpful so if that is an option for you I really recommend it. I thought all i needed was medication but therapy probably would have been helpful early on too.

DD 4yo DS 1yo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"