2nd Trimester
Options

does your ob office...

make you see every doctor because they rotate who is on call and can't guarantee who will deliver you?

while I love the office I hate this.  I have a rare disease no one has ever heard of and I spend 30-40 min ever appointment going over it and all the horrible things I've had to go through.  And the stupid hormones already make me so emotional over my disease right now.  It makes me so depressed for a few days after.  I really wished I had chosed a doctor who will deliver me.

Re: does your ob office...

• Options
    Mine doesn't do this and I am thankful. I am sorry you have to go over your history every time. i would imagine that would be incredibly frustrating.
  • Options

Yes, I think that is standard for an office with more than one doctor.

Edit: At my office you do not HAVE to see everyone. But they recommend it so that you know all of them in case they are the ones on call.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

There's only two ob's in my office, so it's not really an issue.

I'm sorry though, that would be a turn-off for me.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, my office does but it's not a big office (only 4 docs).  Also, I'm surprised that the different docs who are seeing you haven't reviewed your chart prior to meeting with you.

On the upside, hopefully this means you won't have to explain your medical condition in between contractions ;-) 

• Options
    Nope.  My dr delivers my baby day or night, unless he is out of town or really unavailable for some reason.  I love it for that reason.  The downside is that I often wait quite awhile for my appointment because he is called off to L&D regularly.  
  • Options
    Yes, there are 6 or 7 doctors in my practice- it's an OB office branched off the hospital, so there are a lot. I do have to see a different one each time, but I kind of like it (although I don't have anything I really have to explain again and again.) I like hearing the different things each one has to say and so far I have liked the 3 that I've seen.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Options
    my office has 7 providers. you're required to see everyone atleast one time and then adter that you can choose who you want to see.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageauslyn804:
    Nope.  My dr delivers my baby day or night, unless he is out of town or really unavailable for some reason.  I love it for that reason.  The downside is that I often wait quite awhile for my appointment because he is called off to L&D regularly.  

Mine is the same way. I waited two hours yesterday. But in the end, I will take the inconvenience of appointments over the chance of a different doc at delivery. Even in the same practice, doctors can have such distinct strategies and beliefs related to delivery. I chose my doctor based partly on my belief that her ideals blend well with ours in relation to birthing.

• Options
    My OB's office rotates all the doctors and the midwives, but they generally send the midwives to births unless there's a complication. They have about 6 female OBs and 2 male, so I am really hoping that I get a female OB during my birth (I had a pretty traumatising experience with a male OB in college and I'm really uncomfortable with male doctors for this kind of thing). Hopefully I will have a natural delivery and won't have to worry about a male OB! I'm curious to see what the other bumpies have to say though- I am pretty close to wanting to switch to another office so I won't have to deal with the lottery system...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c 03.08.11 at ~9 weeks
  • Options

No, my practice does not rotate--deliberately.  I go to a high risk practice that is all MFM/perinatologists.  They have a policy of keeping each patient with only one doctor b/c they said that each patient is too complex for be reviewing her whole medical history with new doctors all the time.

It seems you need a practice with a similar policy b/c you have some unique issues.  I would bring this concern up at your next appointment, and consider finding a different practice if you don't get an acceptable response.  I think having consistent care is probably more important in your case than necessarily knowing the doctor who will do the delivery.

• Options
    Mine does not, but they make it very clear from the beginning that another doctor in the practice may deliver your baby just depending on the timing.  So I could easily have a doctor deliver our baby that I've never met before.  I can see the + and - of both ways.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options

Yes, there are 3 doctors in my office.  I rotate through them. 

Also, if it is on the weekend or a holiday they are on-call with another practice not too faar away.  So, if I go into labor on thhe weekend I could haave a doctor I've never even met. 

In the end though - it doesn't really matter to me.  As long as they get the baby out and all is okay.

• Options
    There are several different Doc's and 2 Nurse Practitioners at my OB office and the only reason I saw anyone other than my OB was because she was out of town.. That's stupid that they didn't go over your chart before the appointment, like PP said. I'm sorry you have to go through that at every visit!
    William 04.12.2010
  • Options
    mine does this also. plus they make you see a bunch of midwives too. I'm going in for my 17week appt. on the 15th and STILL won't be seeing a dr.
  • Options

there are 11 yes, 11 dr.s in my practice. you have to meet them all then you can stick with one for your last appts. but anyone of them can be on call for the delivery. I've met 3 so far and all were nice, I like one the best and one not so much. oddly it was the man I liked best. there are pros and cons to just having one dr. ever see "knocked up" where the dr. promised he would be there then went away for the weekend? At least I'll have met the dr. and os far all 3 read my chart before meeting with me and new stuff from my last meeting that wasn't with them.

good luck.

• Options
    imageABauer55:

There's only two ob's in my office, so it's not really an issue.

I'm sorry though, that would be a turn-off for me.  

this

• Options

imageJ&Jaggies06:
    Mine does not, but they make it very clear from the beginning that another doctor in the practice may deliver your baby just depending on the timing.  So I could easily have a doctor deliver our baby that I've never met before.  I can see the + and - of both ways.

This for me, too.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I have LOTS of doctors in my practice--the office is connected to a large academic hospital (where my husband happens to also work, just in a different specialty).  However, while they suggest that we rotate through many docs, they don't "require" it--I do so ecause I'd like to know as many of them as possible.

All that being said, I still see my primary doc every other appt.  She's the one I call when I have a problem.  She's the one who manages my labs and tests.  And, because my husband also happens to be a physician, she's the one we're going to page when we go into labor.  Yes, it's a luxury--she might be able to come, even if she's not on call.  But she likes us (especially my husband), and so I think she'll come!  :)

That being said, my situation is different than most.  My husband knows most of the docs.  We're in our home hospital.  So the group practice works extremely well for us.  For someone like you, with a difficult medical history, I can imagine how frustrating it could be.

TALK to your doctors.  Tell them how you're feeling.  See if you can have a note placed in your file that you're a difficult/complicated pregnancy, and for EACH DOCTOR to review your file before EVERY appt with you.  They should be able to do that easily.  If they don't make you feel better, consider switching practices.  I know it's late in the game, but you need to feel comfortable. 

• Options
    Mine has like 7 OB's and although it is recommended I don't have to see them all and have only seen mine.  I don't know if it's just been luck or because of my M.S. (doesn't make me high risk but since my doc is a friend of a friend and I don't think has had an MS patient) I'm just hoping she's on call when I go into labor.
  • Options
    There are 3 at my practice, and they have you meet all of them so that you will know the physician that delivers you.  I've seen 2 of them so far.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    no, I have the same doctor all the time, but I had to sign a paper saying that I understand she might not be the one delivering.
  • Options

I LOVE that mine does this.

I love seeing different doctors. I think its really important to get different perspectives.

At first I was wary of it, but now I'm thankful for it.

• Options
    there is only one doctor in the office so I only see him.
  • Options

there are 10 OB's and 4 CMW's at my practice, I only rotate OB's but I have a say in who I want to see starting my every other week appointments, mainly b/c I'll have my C-section scheduled by then and know who will be doing it and that way we get to know each other before he learns my anatomy ya know.

I'm sorry your frustraighted, have you tried voicing this to them to see if you can only float between a select few that you have up to date on your condition? I'd hope they would make an execption for you since what you have is so rare, you'll need to have someone there up to date on your condition.

• Options
    Mine does but luckily I have only been with one so far and probably will be throughout (i'm going to be a c-section).
  • Options
    Mine does it. I do have pre-existing conditions I have to re-explain to an extent, but it takes 5 minutes, not 30. Can you find another OB?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine encourages it but doesn't require it. Last time, I saw all four doctors (although there's one doctor that I only met once), and this time, I've been rotating between my two favorites.
    Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options
    well, you're only 13 weeks, maybe you could switch to an office with 1 dr??  That would drive me absolutely insane!  
  • Options
    My does this- I have to see each at least once. There are only 3 drs and 2 midwives and when I can schedule appointments I have mostly seen the same person. The last doctor I saw though was horrible- he tried to give me some meds I am allergic to and wouldn't listen when I told him I was allergic. He called me the wrong name and just wasn't very friendly so I told the office I wasn't going to see him again.
  • Options
    no if my dr is booked or out they ask me first if I want to see someone else; there's 1 dr I've met so I usually ask for her and havent had a problem getting an appt w/that 2nd dr;  maybe this is cuz I'm high-risk but Im not sure
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

yes, there are 4 doctors at my practice.

you know, you can still switch to a one-doc-practice.  i switched practices during my first pg'cy at 29 weeks.  best decision ever.

• Options
    i havent got to meet the other doctors.... thankfully there are only 2 others. but they do rotate who is on call.. and there isn't a guarantee who will deliver me... i am hoping it is my doctor that delivers me.. but as i said again no guarantee. I have never like guy doctors but i really like him. And i am very comfortable with him.. Thankfully i have been able to read up on the other doctors and read some reviews on them.. and my doctor has given me some info on them... So i think i will be ok with them. i would like to at least meet them first though.
  • Options

I just have one doctor that I see every time, and I'm really glad to have that.  That's really important to me, and I haven't had any complications so far (knock on wood).  I can't even imagine having to do that when you have special circumstances, I'm sorry.  Maybe talk to the office about how you have extenuating circumstances and could you please PLEASE see one doctor who is familiar with you and your case so you don't have to re-explain your medical history and health issues every single appointment?

If you ask super nice they might work with you. 

• Options
    Yep, my doctors office does the exact same thing. They have 4 OB's there and a nurse that they want you to see all of them at least once because they don't know who will be on call when you deliver and they want to make sure that you get acquainted with all of the doctors, so you are not surprised the day you go in labor and it's someone that you've never met. I have seen all of them, but one. They usually schedule me with the one female doctor, which I really like her, but last appt they scheduled me with the one other female doctor and I like her even more. I think I'm going to ask if I can see her from now on, she's awesome.

• Options
    Mine does this and there is one dr I'm really not fond of so I'm crossing my fingers I won't get him. Is there a way they can add notes to your chart or the nurse could tell the dr or something so you don't have to keep explaining everything? That seems like a lot of crap to me. Or maybe you could just write a short paragraph about it and give it to the nurse to put in your chart so when they grab it they will be able to read it and get the lowdown and then possibly they will only have to ask questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"