Georgia Babies
Options

November drama - a little long

Just when I thought I could get in under the wire..

I teach an entry level college writing course and my students are wrapping up their presentations on a social injustice of their choosing.  We had a presentation on child abuse and I called on a girl to go next.  Her computer wouldn't work, so we defaulted to the next girl, who I will call Julie.  Julie's injustice is addiction and abuse of prescription drugs among teens.  She gets about 4 slides into it and we are all on board, commenting on her stats and asking questions, when she says, "This is a personal thing because one of my friends.." and bursts into tears.  This is par for the course since I encourage them to choose something heartfelt to research and many kids cry or share personal trauma.  I said, "Take a deep breath" and she says, "Well, my friend just took 25 valium before class."  I said, "Before this class?  Like 20 minutes ago?"  She said yes.  I said, 'You're sure she's not lying? and she said, "She deals drugs and has them all the time.  Her mom is a heroin addict."  I asked if she called the police and she said no, that she didn't know what to do.  I said, "We need to call the police.  She could be ODing right now."  She was totally hysterical yet cooperative, so we called 911 who connected us to campus police who tracked down the girl in her class.  I don't really know what happened next.  The last we heard was the police were there, I assume taking her to the hospital.  I comforted my student and assured her she did the right thing.  Now I'm sitting at home shaking, thinking about how many times things like this go on and we, as teachers, have no idea.  If my other student's Mac would've worked or If Julie hadn't trusted me, the girl would have died.   

Re: November drama - a little long

• Options
    I am so sorry that happened to you.  My mom had something similar happen to her recently.  What is it with people and pills?
  • Options
    I am so sorry--glad that you all were able to call for some help. And I am so glad your student trusted you enough to share.
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good lord.....everything certainly happens for a reason....but I have to ask, since this IS a college class, why didn't she think to call 911 or tell someone a little sooner??? Kudos to you for doing the right thing!
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options
    My goodness, poor kid.
  • Options
    Lordy!  Seriously, we have what, 7.5 HOURS left in the frigging month?!  Glad your student was able to communicate that to you AND especially glad that you took swift action and got the ball rolling.  Think you'll hear what the short-term resolution was this week?  Please let us know if you do, if you don't mind; I'm feeling for your student and her friend too! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How horrible.  Thank goodness she told you!

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Wow! What a shock that must have been to you! I'm so glad you were able to intervene in time.
  • Options
    Things happen for a reason....just like that girls computer failing.  Good thing you were there!
  • Options

Wow!  Unfortunately, I feel like these situations are too common now.  I keep in mind that even my big seniors (soon to be college freshmen) are still somebody's "baby".  Many of them still don't have the decision making skills required for the real world, and those first few years away from mom and dad are particularly difficult.

Kudos to you for doing exactly as each teacher is charged to do.  Good for you for taking action!  I hope everything turn out okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"