Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

play food?

where are you girls buying play food? I bought a set in a tub at Toys R Us and it's crap. 

Re: play food?

• Options
    I got the cookie kit from Melissa and Doug on Black Friday.  It's really cute.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think we have the same tub o' crap. lol

I got some better stuff at TRU though, it's a lot more realistic and softer plastic.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I hate those plastic tubs of crap, too.  But unfortunately, Melissa and Doug are going through a major recall right now.  :(

If you're willing to pay, places like Natural Pod have beautiful felt and wood food.  

https://www.naturalpod.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=52

Worth the $$.  :)

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    I got ours at Costco.  It was $20 and came with a basket for each breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It was some sort of "Healthy Meals" thing, and filled with stuff you want your kids to eat like fruits, veggies, etc.  DH and I were cracking up because there is a boneless skinless chicken breast in it and two glasses of milk, but doesn't have the donuts and other crap in it like usual, and the plastic is really soft and nice. 
  • Options
    I'm making Eva some felt food for Christmas.  I like the Melissa and Doug stuff too but I didn't know there was a recall.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had two sets of play food back in the day when the play kitchen was the centerpiece of my kids' playroom.

One was the aforementioned "tub o' crap".  The other was bought during this time of year at Wal-mart.  It was their "kid connection" brand of toys that appears every holiday season.  It was veggies and fruits that velcroed together and could be "cut" apart with a little plastic knife.  These were really durable and cute, and my kids had a lot of fun over the years "chopping" veggies and putting two different halves of stuff together and making up new "freggies".  Like, put together one of the broccoli spears with one half of the strawberry and you've got broccolberry, etc.

I generally love wooden toys, but I would avoide wooden ones in this case because they would be very expensive and unnecessarily heavy.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

I hadn't heard about the Melissa & Doug recall. It seems like it's only in Canada now.

DD got the M&D cutting food for her birthday yesterday, and she already loves it. I know my mom also got her the M&D fruit and veggie sets for Christmas too; she got them at a local toy store, but they're all available at TRU. DH and I are giving her the M&D condiments for Christmas, and I found those at Home Goods.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options
    DD got one last year from Target and it is fine.  I think it was like $10.  I haven't seen any of them this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"