D.C. Area Babies

Q's if you have a baby with a 6:30 bedtime

-Is that the time LO is down in their crib, or the time you start the night time rituals (bottle, jammies, etc.)?

-Is LO showing signs of sleepiness by then?Or do you catch them even before they seem tired?

-Could you give me an idea of your bedtime routine and the timing?

As I mentioned in my weekly update post, C has been sleeping pretty inconsistently ever since daylight savings. At the time, a lot of you suggested moving up his bedtime, but for some reason that's been harder to implement than I thought. He's usually down around 7:15 but maybe even earlier would be better?

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Q's if you have a baby with a 6:30 bedtime

• Oh, and I have HSHHC, but I've kinda given up on looking to it for help. I always end up more confused.
  • We start the bedtime routine at 6:15-6:30 (depending on if it's bath night or not).

He typically is tired (rubbing his eyes and a little cranky) by that time.  We initially started his 6:30 bedtime routine by following his cues and that is when he appeared ready for bed.

After his bath, it's pj's, a bottle and one book.  He goes to sleep with a pacifier, a lovey, and his FP aquarium.  He is usually in bed between 6:45 and 7:00. 

We've been at this routine since he was around 3 months old.  It's all a blur now, but I believe he was sleeping from 7 to 7 by 6 months old--those first 3 months he would still wake up around 3:30 for a bottle. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We widely vary our bedtime from starting the process at 5:45 to starting around 6:30 depending on how tired DD is. We average her falling asleep between 6:30 and 6:45, I would say. If she has napped poorly at daycare and has been up since 2, we start earlier. If she had a good late nap (this is more often on the weekends), we have her stay up until we see her get tired so we get more time with her. HSHHC says a bedtime is good, but to be flexible depending on how tired your child is. THat's worked for us.

Our routine is:

Bath

Lights out/sound machine on

PJ's

Bottle

Soon we'll start incorporating a book so that eventually we can replace the bottle with a book. For now, though, she is more interested in eating books than reading, so it hasn't made sense to put in our routine yet. Having a routine has worked miracles for us. Once she got used to it, that's how we first started drowsy but awake. When she was 3 months, we'd hold/rock her until she fell asleep after the routine. One night she wouldn't fall asleep so we put her in her crib and she did it herself! Since then it varies. Sometimes she falls asleep during the bottle, other times she goes into the crib awake and puts herself to sleep.

Good luck!

Oh - the routine takes about 20-30 minutes total, depending on how long it takes her to eat her bottle. That's by far the longest part. Everything else takes about 7 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We pick DD and get home around 5. I hurry up and make a fast dinner for her and she is usually eating by 5:30. Bathtime starts around 6-6:15 and depending on how long that lasts she is in bed by 6:30-6:45. She is usually rubbing her eyes during dinner so I know I couldn't get much more out of her even if I tried :-) Putting her to bed that early has made a world of difference in her and in us (i.e. sitting on the couch, glass of wine, unwinding from the day) and it means I can be in bed by 9....er, 9:30 Stick out tongue
  • imageeeclem:

-Is that the time LO is down in their crib, or the time you start the night time rituals (bottle, jammies, etc.)?

no, for us that's usually when we start his bedtime routine

-Is LO showing signs of sleepiness by then?Or do you catch them even before they seem tired?

yes, sometimes he's tired before then, especially if he didn't nap well that day. I haven't yet had to put him down before 6pm, but I do try to get his bedtime routine started as soon as he starts exhibiting sleepy cues.

our routine is very simple, but consistent. we change his diaper, put his pjs on him and give him a warm bottle while rocking him in the rocking chair in his room (that's the only time we feed him there). He usually nods off while drinking his bottle, but wakes up a little when we burp him. Depending on how awake he is, we read him a book, sing him a quick song and then put him in the crib with his pacifier. Sometimes he fusses for a few seconds, but most of the time he is fine and falls asleep pretty quickly.

As I mentioned in my weekly update post, C has been sleeping pretty inconsistently ever since daylight savings. At the time, a lot of you suggested moving up his bedtime, but for some reason that's been harder to implement than I thought. He's usually down around 7:15 but maybe even earlier would be better?

When Warner was 3 months (I think that's how old your LO is? I can't see the siggy now), we were putting him down around 7pm, but then we woke him for a late bottle around 10 or 11pm. It was basically dream feeding b/c he rarely woke up all the way for it. And then he slept all night until around 7am.

ETA: we dropped that late bottle around 4.5 months, now his bedtime bottle is his last bottle of the day)

• great question! and really helpful answers ladies, thank you
  • Hmm, I think I need to streamline our bedtime routine. It sometimes takes 45 min, even without a bath. But he's kind of a leisurely nurser at night, since he's not starving, so that's part of it. I'm going to try having him in his crib by 6:30 for the next two nights and see what happens. Today is a good day to start, since I know he didn't nap well.
  • imageeeclem:

We start the night rituals around 6:30

By 6:30 she's usually pretty cranky and starts rubbing her eyes- A LOT.

Around 6:30 we give dd a bath followed by her last bottle. We do the last feed in her room, with lights out and her sleepy music on. Most nights the whole thing takes no more than 20-30 mins so she's alseep by 7:00. Sometimes she wakes up between 2-4, but recently she's been sttn a few times a week and will sleep to between 5 and 6 before she wakes to eat. 

I love that we put dd to bed by 7 b/c it means I have some downtime with dh before I pass out by 9/9:30. I know people who keep their LOs up until 10 or so and I can't imagine that- seems like such a loooong day.

• DS usually goes to be sometime between 6-6:30pm.  We usually wait for him to give the first signs of sleepiness - rubbing eyes or getting fussy.  Then we put him to bed.  We don't really have a routine other than a bath every other night, then jammies and then sleep.  He seems to do fine without a true routine and crashes pretty quickly, so we don't have time for the rest of a routine (stories, rocking, etc.)
  • i put her down at 7ish tonight. fingers crossed!
  • Well, night #1 of Operation Early Bedtime was not a success. He went down easily enough at 6:30. But was up again at 1am to eat. And 4am to eat. And 5:30am for the day - all smiles and wanting to play. I'm going to give it another go tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"