Trouble TTC
Options

pregnancy symptoms and negative HPT?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to these boards, so I'm just going to give a little summary of my situation.  I have PCOS.  I have been trying to conceive for 1.5 years.  I'm on metformin for PCOS.  I do not get my period on my own, so I have had to take provera to start my cycle.  Then I take clomid on days 3-7.  I did two rounds of 50mg clomid.  On round 2, I had a positive OPK on day 23. 

I just completed round 3.  This round was 100mg.  I'm about 17 days past ovulation and got a negative HPT.  I am feeling symptoms of pregnancy though.  I have felt nauseous on-and-off for about a week, I haven't been able to stay up past 9pm for about a week, and I've had breast changes.  A couple days ago, a couple people mentioned that my breasts look bigger.  I have dark circles around my nipples, and today my nipples are very sensitive...they tingle and sort of have a burning sensation.

What do you guys think?  Could I possibly be pregant even though I ovulate late in my cycle?  Also, can it take a few weeks after ovulation to get a positive HPT?

Thanks!

Re: pregnancy symptoms and negative HPT?

• Options

Is your doctor monitoring you so that you know for sure that you ovulated when you did? Clomid plus the fact that you have PCOS can make OPKs inaccurate for many.

I would call your doctor and ask for a beta at this point. 

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

Hmmm...that doesn't sound encouraging.

The only monitoring is 21 day progesterone testing, which has been low every month but my doctor has said that that could be because I'm ovulating late.

I'm going to call my doctor on Monday for a bloodtest.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Testing for progesterone should be done at 7 days past ovulation. Your doctor is assuming you will ovulate on cd14 every cycle and that is not the case for so many people. I am not sure how things work in Canada, whether you need a referral or what but at this point I would find a new doctor, one that specializes in infertility (RE).
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
  • Options
    Well, my DR works at a fertility clinic.  He increased my dose to 100mg thinking that it would make me ovulate earlier, so I'm assuming that is why he continued to do my bloodwork on day 21...to see if the increased dose did that.  He wants me to do 2 months of 21 day bloodwork on the 100mg clomid so that he can then have 2 months of 50mg and 2 months of 100mg bloodwork to get a clear picture of what's going on.
  • Options

Did he monitor you to see how many follicles you have? Monitor you to see how thick your lining is? He can not get a clear picture if he is not even looking!

• Options

Thanks for all the feedback on what I should be asking my doctor.

I was wondering if anyone can answer my original question....

Could I possibly be pregant even though I ovulate late in my cycle?  Also, can it take a few weeks after ovulation to get a positive HPT?

Thanks

• Options

I thought I did answer it, at this point you can not even be sure you DID ovulate. You can not be 17-18-19 days past ovulation without being pregnant, so that leads me to believe you either didn't O when you thought you did, o'd later or did not O at all. 

But call your doctor and ask for a beta, check your progesterone, or give it more time to see if .AF or 2 lines will show.

Good luck!

• Options

Unfortunately, all of your symptoms are also symptoms of high progesterone levels and not necessarily of pregnancy.

So, you may have had a stronger ovulation which produced more progesterone, therfore your increased progesterone symptoms are stonger.

It is possible you are PG, but they are also the same symptoms as high progesterone. The PG test at this point says no. Test again in a couple of days. Good Luck. 

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

Ditto the pp.

A cycle with proper monitoring would include follie scans and bloodwork to measure the progress through the cycle so that ovulation is pinpointed and a specific date for pregnancy test (whether by blood or urine) is determined so that you don't need to ask these questions. 

As for your "original question", we have no greater insight to what's going on in your uterus that you do. A beta from your doctor is the only way to to know for sure.

GL.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"