Health & Exercise
Options

lunch meats?

I guess you could say i'm a picky eater and now that I'm pregnant I want to do what I can to make all of the right decisions.  So my confusion is in lunch meats?  What types or brands are ok to eat?  I have a week-by-week book that says no deli meats, processed meats.  What kind does that leave for me?

Re: lunch meats?

• Options

My doctor said it's good to stay away from, but fresh turkey from say Whole Foods is likely okay if eaten within a day or so.  However, I've cooked mine up in a pan before too just to be safe in a pinch - get it nice and steaming...it's actually good with some cheese on ww bread toasted.

• Options
    I ate lunch meat the whole time I was pregnant.  I just made sure that it was a good brand well within the expiration date.  Heating it to steaming cuts the risk of bacteria which is the main concern.  I ate ham and turkey mainly.  I stayed away from bologna but mainly because it didn't sound or smell good to me. Watch out for the sodium in the ham though, swelling can be a real pain especially later on. Good Luck!  The main thing is to follow your instinct.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my OB said that eating lunch meat is fine as long as I know where it came from, because we live in a place that lunch meat is turned around so fast he said it was fine. I guess if you live in the back hills it might be an issue? I've had 3 4inch italian hoagies from Wawa so far.
  • Options
    I made myself paninis when I wanted lunch meat.  I had maybe one or two regular turkey sandwiches during my pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"