Attachment Parenting
Options

Crib sleepers question: DD moving to her big girl crib/room?

DD sleeps in a PnP bassinett a few feet from our bed. Sometimes she sleeps in our bed after middle of the night feedings.

She DOES have a beautiful crib in her own room. I laid her down for a nap in it yesterday and she seemed to LOVE it! She stared up at her mobile and gazed out the window and went to sleep on her own.

I have also read threads where moms say their LO started STTN once they moved her to her own room. Also I just don't know if I'm ready to move her into her own room! Its not like it matters to her, because she sleeps fine by herself, and we always respong immediately when she cries. So I don't think it matters to her if we're 3 feet away or just across the hall. Can I get some opinions from those who's babies crib sleep?

I love bed sharing and cuddling with LO, but our mattress is soft, and she tends to sink into my or DH's "nook". The other night we fell asleep while nursing, and I woke up with her face smashed up against my boob. I seriously panicked and was worried I smothered her. SHe just looked up at me and smiled :) I am a really heavy sleeper and this combined with many other reasons are why we have chosen not to exclusively bed share. I'll never give up our morning cuddles though, even if she does move into the other room.

I know not ALL AP moms exclusively bedshare, and I was hoping for some thoughts. I know its a vague question- I guess I am kind of venting because I feel so sad about her growing up and being in her own room. But I won't let my being so sentimental dictate her sleep habits. *sigh*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Crib sleepers question: DD moving to her big girl crib/room?

• Options

We moved DS to his crib at 3 mos old. 

Personally, I miss bed sharing. If he would have continued to sleep well in our bed i would have kept him there for a long time. I miss cuddling him and feeling his chest go up and down with each breath.

If you feel unsafe bed sharing though, you got to do what you feel comfortable with. We used a snuggle nest for a while but we preferred to wrap our arms around him and cuddle. I have never been a really deep sleeper though, so it worked for us.

The crib will still be there in a few months ;-) 

And since DS switched to his crib, he will NOT sleep in our bed. I tried to bring him in with us in the mornings to nurse but he won't go to sleep anymore in my arms. :-(

• Options

We have just begun the transition to DD's crib 2 nights ago. I really thought it would be harder for her than it was, but so far she is doing fine - it's me that's having the rougher go of it!

We exclusively bed shared for the first 4 months, and then transitioned her into her crib (which was in our room) from her bedtime to first feeding, then she came to bed with us. The next step was to put her back in her crib (still in our room) after that feeding, but she never took to that. If she could see/smell/sense me there she wanted to be in bed with me. But then, as she has become more mobile, she is moving around a lot more and I feel it's becoming unsafe. And, she also doesn't snuggle in close to me like she used to.

So we decided it's really time to move her to her own room. The first night she slept for 13 hours, waking once to eat. Last night she slept for 12 hours, waking 2ce to eat. Tonight, so far so good. BUT, even though it's getting easier, I still want her close in my arms! So I have just been cuddling a pillow (DH works nights) and bringing my cats in my bed.

I figure it will get easier as time goes on, and I have to work REALLY hard not to just go in and get DD because I miss her next to me. She has "told" us what she needs right now, and it's her own space at night. That, and I just feel it's the safest option at this point.

We really, really enjoyed those first months of bed sharing, and yes - I feel sad that she's growing up too! But I promise you'll just know when it's time for that crib, and if you keep DD's needs first and foremost it will be an easier tranistion. And, no one says you need to do it all at once! It took us nearly 4 months to sleep solo!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"