High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lovenox questions

I just saw my MFM doc for the 1st time today and he prescribed Lovenox 30ml once a day.  I have hetero Factor V Leiden...no symptoms or any issues.  I only know I have it cause my brother had some clots and was diagnosed so my OB tested me.  ANyone else go on Lovenox just as precautionary and not due to symptoms???

Also, where do you inject it?  In your stomach still even though pg?  I just can't picture sticking a needle into my baby bump!

Any other tips/info for starting Lovenox?

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011

Re: Lovenox questions

• Options

I do inject it into my stomach which right now is still mushy gushy but once it's a big baby bump I'm sure I'll be a little more freaked out about the shots.

My situation is a little different than yours in that I have a history of having a clot.  But, I do not have a clot now and so the Lovenox is purely to help make sure I don't develop another one.  Better safe than sorry.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I take lovenox everyday due to having previous miscarriages due to blood clots.  As far as taking it in the stomach it is not a problem.  I worried the same thing at first but my peri. taught me how to use them and explained that there is no way for me to poke the baby.  The needle is so small and short that it can not reach your child (it would have to go through both your fat and your muscles which is quite thick).  They tell you as you get bigger to stay on the sides of your tummy and you can go into your love handles.  I am startingto get to the point where I can't pull up fat anymore so I sit down and go for above my thighs on my stomach where it laps over a little.  Hope that helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with FVL during pregnancy as well when I mentioned my it ran in my family.  I have never had a clot. I take 40 units twice a day.  I inject on my belly, but I am overweight so I have plenty inches to pinch, even this far along.  I always inject while sitting.  Good luck!
  • Options

I do the injections in my love handles. I don't know if that will change as I get bigger.

I have never had a blood clot, but I have had 2 later first trimester losses, which is why the Lovenox was recommended.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am also hetero FVL.  No symptoms or complications- my Dad has had 5 strokes so that led to testing about 10 years ago.  Initially I was on 40 ml once a day, but about 4 weeks ago we saw that the baby was very underweight, so they switched me to 80ml.  The theory was that I was throwing micro clots into the placenta and it was restricting his blood flow.  Turned out the adjustment was exactly what we needed and now all is well.

Originally I did it in to the bottom of my belly (it hurt less than the top) but now I do it in my thigh.  I didn't have an issue with the lower dose except bruising, but the new concentration hurts like hell.  It doesn't bruise as bad there though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have homozygous FVL and was on 80mg of lovenox for my whole pregnancy. I injected in the stomach for most of it and moved on to the love handles when I got bigger.

My situation is a little different as I had a clot a few yrs ago before becoming pregnant and then started the injections when TTC. I'm still on it now until 6 weeks PP.

GL!

Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• Options
    I was diagnosed with a DVT during pregnancy so I was put on 100mg twice a day from 32 weeks and on.  My situation was different because they were actually treating a clot, which I still have.  My clot probably won't go away for another 6 months.  Now I'm on Lovenox 80mg twice a day while they try to get my therapeutic on Coumadin, but it's taking forever.  The high doses of Lovenox SUCK.  80mg is much better than 100mg though, that's for sure. 
  • Options
    I inject in my rear
  • Options
    I have DH do the injections in my stomach. My OB has assured me that there is no way to poke the baby, even if you didn't pinch up the fat like you're supposed to. It is getting much harder to pinch though - we might try outer thighs or love handles soon, both of which my doctor said was ok.
  • Options
    I inject myself in the stomach but mainly on my sides where I can still grab some skin.  I'm on 40ml/day as a preventative measure due to history of blood clots in my mom (during pregnancy with me) and my sister.  I have not had a blood clot but feel better taking the shots to make sure I don't get one. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"