Special Needs
Options

Grr... the school district better watch out...

Lawyer mama is about to come out and beat them down (but in a nice, productive way). 

We got a call on Friday re scheduling an IEP meeting, offering two dates -- Tuesday or a early November.  Because DS has a make-up session with his SLP this Tuesday, we decided to go with the later date.  DH called them back this morning and is told that the principal of our neighborhood school (which will coordinate his services) has declared the meeting set for tomorrow.  He proceeds to tell them that this won't work and they need to reschedule.  I have read my lovely parental rights handbook and I know that they have to give me the draft IEP two days in advance of the meeting.  Since they haven't given it to me, they can't schedule the meeting for tomorrow.

At his eligibility meeting, we were told that the teacher who is drafting his IEP was going to call us to discuss her thoughts.  Hasn't happened.  I called the county-wide program coordinator today to let her know that, and to also let her know what the principal is pulling re scheduling.  She agreed with me that it was inappropriate, and commented a number of times that she would like to be at the meeting but that the local principal liked to run things out of her school (which may also explain why the IEP-drafter has not called).  Because I really like this woman, and I'm not getting a warm fuzzy thus far from the principal, I decided to assert another right found in the parental rights handbook and invite the coordinator to the IEP meeting.  She seemed very happy about that.  She also said that she was going to call the drafter and ask her directly to get in touch with me.

I get the feeling that our local principal is not well-liked in the system and likes to do things her own way.  I hate to start things off by fighting with her, but I'm not going to let her take shortcuts that will harm my kid.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Grr... the school district better watch out...

• Options

Good luck with your 1st IEP!...as they say - the first one will set the course for the rest of them.

It's fantastic that you are so knowledgeable about your rights because of your profession....I had to hire a lawyer for my first one. The second one was smooth sailing and I did it by myself because the first one went so well.

Anyway, rescheduling stinks. We had to reschedule ours a couple of times as well. First time, the District had a computer glitch (no, they weren't kidding) and second time somebody got sick. Grrrrr

Hope all goes well!

• Options

good for you. I have noticed that w/ alot of stuff surrounding IEP's it's all lip service and no action or disorganized action. We have an IEP for my teenager, but very limited services were needed, at 1st I thought since he was "not that bad off" they just kinda forgot about him one year, but since then I got the impression that it was just all kinds of disorganized.

Keep at them!

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good for you!!!  I'm supposed to get a draft too I just found out and guess what it isn't done yet and our IEP is tomorrow.  This is the one where we discuss everything my DD is going to be getting.  I almost want my friend to come because she has being going through this for the last 5 years and knows what to ask and what to demand.  
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"