Special Needs
Options

If you have in home nurse help.....

I am interviewing 3 companies that provide in-home nursing care this week in the NICU and i dont knwo what to ask! i feel a little freaked out by the fact that someone is going to be in my home from 8-24hrs a day. did you have a choice between day or night care and if so why did you choose what you did. i dont know what i will need more. day or night. thanks ladies!

Re: If you have in home nurse help.....

• Options

Interviewing a nurse is really difficult...like you stated these people are in your home for several hours. That being said, I always asked for qualifications and let the interview take course from there. I have always looked for a provider that would care for my child as an "Aunt" or relative would. Our nurses have become like family, I have always heard of nursing horror stories. I never wanted to expirence that, so I went out of my way to make them comfortable in hopes that my child would receive even better care. We have been lucky and have had our night nurse for 18 months. She is "Nana" to my children and we love her dearly, and she loves my son and takes great care of him! I am given 70hrs of nursing per week so 10 hrs per day. I have only actively been able to fill 40 of those hours. I chose night nursing, because still to this day my DS wakes 3 times per night for feedings at 22 months not to mention his vent alarm sounding throughout the night.

After DS was born I quit my job to care for his needs so night nursing was essential for me to be refreshed during the day. I still worry endlessly even with trusting my nurse and wake frequently to check on him. If you have any other questions let me know. Take all the nursing hours you can get. It is overwhelming in the beginning, but my Nurses have provided me with free moments here and there and with out them I would have gone mad. We have been very fortunate!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"