1st Trimester

be honest, how bad does prune juice taste??

I am at my wits end here.  At first, eating prunes was working but I can only eat them when they are refrigerated and I just don't think they are as effective that way.  DH is insisting I drink prune juice, but I've heard its just awful.  The thought of that in combination with m/s does not make me happy!   I am so bloated and my stomach is so distended, I honestly look 5 months pregnant!!!!  So, have you tried it?  is it awful?  is there any way to make it better? 
Baby #2 on the way! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: be honest, how bad does prune juice taste??

• Just pinch your nose closed and gulp it down.
  • I'd try colace before I'd drink pure prune juice.  I had to give it to DD once, and I almost barfed at the smell and I wasn't pregnant at the time.  No way I could stomach it now.
    Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never tried prune juice, but have you thought about high fiber oatmeal? Quaker makes the kind I eat. It's cinnamon swirl flavor, I think. Berries also work for me too. Blueberries are the best for me at least.
  • I may be in the minority here, but I actually like it.
  • I am all for trying the high fiber food route, the problem is that I have major food aversions right now and while I may be able to tolerate the oatmeal today, I may not be able to even stomach the thought of it tomorrow.  I think I may just suck it up, block my nose and down some prune juice.  UGH!
  • I've eaten fiber rich foods up the wazoo and it hasn't helped at all. I have an appt Tuesday and am going to ask my doctor what she recommends.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemaybaby2010:
    I may be in the minority here, but I actually like it.

I do too!

Dylan Sophia 06.04.09 - Elijah Alexander 04.25.10 - 04.25.10 - Sullivan Thomas 09.06.11 - Calvin Douglas 08.06.13 - Baby GIRL Due 07.01.15!
    Elijah's Story: Embracing Elijah
    My blog: Midwest Chaos

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLauraLovesJon:

imagemaybaby2010:

I do too!

Well thats a good thing...maybe I will too!

• I second the colace suggestion.  I haven't tried prune juice, but I really don't think I could stomach it.  I take colace and have been "going" almost every day since I started it.
  • drink plumsmart.  It's plum juice which is 10x better, and still has all the fiber and bowel movement help!
  • Yeah I say Colace also.  I actually take it daily.  Also if you like figs they are higher in fiber than prunes and good for the little bean. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageam369:
    drink plumsmart.  It's plum juice which is 10x better, and still has all the fiber and bowel movement help!

I was going to suggest this.  It is the same thing as prune juice!  A prune is a dried plum just like raisins are dried grapes.  Plumsmart is just a way to market prune juice with out the prune name.  

But I will admit that because the fruits aren't dried before they make the juice it does make a small difference.

If things are really this bad then you can try as many things as you can "take" (due to your aversions) and the combo should work for you.

• my mom used to make me drink it as a kid when i was backed up. i remember it tasting like blood when you lose a tooth. nasty!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Theres nothing you can do but gulp it fast....its awful!
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • imageLauraLovesJon:

imagemaybaby2010:

I do too!

Me too!

• So you have tried the prunes themselves and no benefit huh?  Have you looked into some really yummy probiotic yogurt or cottage cheese?  Before I go to something like Colace or a medicinal stool softener, I would suggest, walking every day, taking a probiotic suppliment like New Chapter's All Flora (bought mine at Whole Foods) Prunes are great. I have never had the juice but I cant imagine its that bad if the fruit tastes as good as it does. 

For the record, I look 5 months pregnant too because of all my gas (TMI??)  I am only 8 weeks.  Good luck!

• I've just gulped it down as fast as possible and try to not think about the taste. I might try that plum juice tho. Fiber One makes some tasty cereals that may help get things moving.
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lol, not the best, but just gulp it down fast!! I have had to drink it twice & i am only 7 weeks! I have been drinking water & walking!
    Wife to Will, Mother to Naomi & Stepmom to Simone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"