Illinois Babies

Any luck finding a thimerosal-free flu shot?

My doctor's office isn't offering the thimerosal-free flu shot, and Walgreens was vague about its availability.  Has anyone gotten a thimerosal-free one?  If so, where?  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Any luck finding a thimerosal-free flu shot?

• I live out in Oswego (outside of Aurora), and I got a thimerosal-free flu shot at a Walgreens.  We just walked in and they had one!

Good luck!

• I work at walgreens and its called Afluria.  Most stores have it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi - I'm new here, but I have some input on the thimerosal-free shot.  I tried to go get Afluria at Walgreens and the pharmacist told me I needed a doctor's note to get the shot because they were saving it up for pregnant women??  Needless to say, I was a little frustrated by that. 

I went to Dominicks right next door and they happen to only carry thimerosal-free shots in individual disposable vials.  It's called Fluzone.  I had no problem getting in there and it was quick and easy.

• my local walgreens has them....a lot actually. Call and ask for Afluria, if they don't have it they should be able to either order it or get it from another store, or let you know which store has it.
  • Yes, I got the thimerosal free and mercury free flu shot.  I live in the northern burbs and I went toi the Lake Forest hosptial Grayslake clinic.
  • I wasn't so concerned.  My OB explained to me that the mercury/thimerosol is 1) in very very small amounts, and 2) that it is used as a stabilizer and is bonded to an organic compound, and doesn't actually enter the cells.

And regarding H1N1, considering that the death rate for pg women with H1N1 is 28%, a little bit of mercury seemed so minor compared to the possibility of death.  I probably have more mercury in my fillings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"