Breastfeeding
Options

Help please! Recovering from nasty cold, supply is tanking...

I had a horrible cold/flu this weekend and ended up taking Nyquil and Dayquil for 2 days, even though I knew I shouldn't, because I was so sick I really needed the relief.  I pumped and dumped the whole weekend, the Pediatrician said not to BF if I took any cold medicine.  The last time I took any meds was Monday afternoon, and I pumped on Tuesday morning and got my typical 8 oz.  Then every time that I've pumped since then, I've only got about 2 oz total (usually get 4-6 oz).  Last night I BF DD and she was really fussy afterwards, acting hungry still.  This morning I only pumped 2.5 oz.  This is not going to work!!

What else can I do today to fix or increase my supply?  I'm drinking a ton of water and trying to eat a bunch also.  Should I get some fenugreek or other herbs?  Where do I buy those?

DD is only 6 months old and I'm not ready to be done with BFing yet!  Thanks so much!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Help please! Recovering from nasty cold, supply is tanking...

• Options

i'd say just hang in there another week or so. with your return to health and your normal BF/pumping routine, i'd think your supply will recover.you could even add in an extra pumping session for the short term just to rebuild your supply?

keep up the water + eating. you can get the herbs at any health food store, whole foods, etc. my LC tells me that the tincture form is more effective than the capsules. i've heard great things about More Milk Plus; its a combo of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and some other goodies. tastes foul, but apparently really helps with supply.

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"