North Carolina Babies
Options

Need your expert potty training thoughts?

On 3 separate occasions this week, Ben has told me he needed to potty.  The most recent was this morning when he told me he "forgot to poop on the potty" and asked me to help him with his pants.

Do I just go sans diaper now, keep reminding/use the timer and just go with it?  Or do you think we need a few more instances of him telling us he needs to go to feel confident in zero diaper (with the exception of naps and night time)?

Also - how do you handle potty out of the home?  He's not a big fan of sitting on the big potty, but i can get him to stand on it and pee (if it's a public toilet, I'll just let him stand on the seat).

Tips, tricks, advice is welcome!

Re: Need your expert potty training thoughts?

• Options

We went straight to big girl pants when we started training. Yeah, it stinks to clean up sometimes, but I really felt like the pull up was confusing her, so I think Ben would be fine going sans diaper into big boy pants - you will probably just have some messes every now and again.

DD tells me sometimes, but most of the times, I have to remind her.  We don't use the timer anymore, but I keep a mental track of what she has drank and how long it has been.  Usually, I remind her and she goes  and it is usually pretty big.

As for outside of the home, that is the only time I use a pull up (besides naps and bedtime) because I don't want her peeing in someone else's house or in a store.  I try to take short trips that wouldn't require her to use a public bathroom, but if she HAS to go, she will as long as I cover it in TP or hold her above it (DH is much better at this).  I also have the small Bjorn bear potty in my trunk that I will let her use as well.  I just stick a diaper in it and let that absorb the pee and when she is done I just toss that.  I close the hatch and open the window so she is hidden, but I do feel extra classy as people walk by, but oh well, she much prefers that to the big potty!

• Options

That's a really good idea putting a diaper in the potty in the car.

He is either diaperless and just wearing pants/shorts (it's just too much to pull down with undies too while we're at home).  We've been diapering when we're out and about and at school.  I think I'm going to send a note to see if they will start helping me with the potty training to help keep things consisitent.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSpeedGlenn:

He is either diaperless and just wearing pants/shorts (it's just too much to pull down with undies too while we're at home).  We've been diapering when we're out and about and at school.  I think I'm going to send a note to see if they will start helping me with the potty training to help keep things consisitent.

DDs preschool does an excellent job with her.   They do require a pull up at school (and I don't blame them). She goes twice a day there and they tell me she either tells them or is excited to go when they ask.  She has had 0 accidents at school.  Another instance where other kids are doing it and she wants to as well.  I wish I could have the influence over her that those 10 toddlers do!

• Options

I think he is ready to go to big boy underwear. Make a big deal out of it and let him pick some out. He will love it! And make a big deal out of it in the morning too. Grady loves to tell me which pair of underwear he is going to wear! If you are still a little nervous try the thicker cotton kind for potty training.

As far as being out in public, its no fun haha! Seriously I'd make sure he is good to go at home for a few weeks b/f I tried big boy underwear out and about.  The good thing about little boys is you can go anywhere as long as you are discrete. Sometimes outdoors is cleaner than the restroom.  Grady just learned to stand so for awhile he would sit. Target has potty "toppers" that stick to the potty. Do a search for Seasame Street Potty Topper on targets website. We make a point to go right before we leave the house.

Sounds like it is clicking with Ben! Way to go!

• Options
    imageEvans:
    imageSpeedGlenn:

DDs preschool does an excellent job with her.   They do require a pull up at school (and I don't blame them). She goes twice a day there and they tell me she either tells them or is excited to go when they ask.  She has had 0 accidents at school.  Another instance where other kids are doing it and she wants to as well.  I wish I could have the influence over her that those 10 toddlers do!

I am seriously counting on this when Eli gets to the 2 yr class where they start PT. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"