Blended Families
Options

Looking for advice...only posted a few time to this board

I posted last week about my ss and sd bm email me wanting to sign away her parental rights so that DH and I can do a stepparent adoption.  We finally met with an attorney yesterday afternoon.  It is going to cost us $2300 to have it all finalized and complete. 

Background is the BM left during a custody battle in July 2007.  Has not seen or talked to sd or ss since that time.  She was only granted supervised visitation though a facility called Hannah's house.  She was required to pay $100 a month in child support.  She was never exercised her right to visitation and she has never paid childsupport. 

DH and I would really like to go through with the termination and adoption HOWEVER we will have to come up with the $2300.  We can take out of our retirement funds but it will take a bit to actually get the money.  Our concern is that we will pay and start the process and spend all the money and it will have just been a game to her. 

WWYD?  This really would be the best situation for my sk.  Their mother was nothing more than a disappointment to them.  She had real problems.  However we are really concerned that we will be throwing the money away if she backs out....

Re: Looking for advice...only posted a few time to this board

• Options
    What exactly is costing $2300? The lawyer fees? There could be a different way to go about doing this, just check your state laws and see what stuff you can do on your own without an attorney.
  • Options

Attorney fees.  I have checked into state law and I drew up the paperwork that I thought we needed to go through with this on our own.  However I got nervous that I would do something incorrect and then we would have a huge mess on our hands later on down the road.  I tried contacting attorneys to see if they will look over the paperwork that I filled out but no one will touch it because they are afraid of a malpractice suit. 

Do you know of anyone who has ever done this on their own that is on the board?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Call your local bar association and see if they have a free clinic that they are offering.  I think all states do this at least a few times per year.

I also think that if you can scrape the $2300 togther, it's worth taking a gamble on if you think that it's in the children's best interest.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have you tried the adoption board? I would assume most of them are adopting under different circumstances, but they probably would still be able to give you info on the legal/paperwork side. Good luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Get a loan or take it out of your retirement fund.

Put a clause in the paperwork that BM gets to pay all the lawyer fees is she backs out once the process begins. 

I bet if you could go after her for that CS she owes you, you would have the money you need to finish these papers?. How nice of her to be a deadbeat.

• Options
    Thank you for all of your help.  I am going to call the bar association when I get off of work.  We have turned her in for not paying child support.  I am also going to post on the adoption board.  Thanks again,
  • Options
    Let me know how it goes b/c DD's BF has stated the same thing, but different situation. I went ahead and got a statement from him saying that he will sign over all rights to me. I'm gonna go look for your post on the adoption board.
    ~*March 26th, 2011 - The day I marry my best friend*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers image 44 Invitations sent out!
    image 70 guests are joining the celebration!
    image 11 friends are sad they can't make it
    image 20 people are procrastinators!
    RSVP Date: 2/28/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"