Working Moms
Options

Think SAHM friend upset a WM friend

So one of my best friends is a SAHM. She is very sweet but does have a habit of putting in her two cents about women who work, such as "it is not good for a child," etc. I just don't think she realizes what she does. We have a new person in our circle who is a WM who just had a baby. Well the sahm friend must have said something because she said that the wm was very short with her and told her no she did not want any help. I know it could be hormones too but I have a sneaky suspicion that she said something inappropriate about her going back to work soon. My friend is a like a dog with a bone and just won't let it drop. She does not understand why this person does not want to talk with her. Should I say anything or just keep my trap shut?

Re: Think SAHM friend upset a WM friend

• Options

Well, you don't know what was said.  W/o that - I have to say "stay out of it".

But when SAH friend said the WM didn't want her help, what exactly did she say/offer?  Ask her if you don't know.  If she tells you, and if it IS in fact along the lines of SAH vs WM - then if you really want, you can say "Well, friend, I appreciate that you feel SAH is important. However, that's not the choice that all women want or can make and it can really be offensive to people if you make comments that say they are wrong for working....  This may be why she's upset."

Because really- she needs to realize that making judgements like that IS offensive.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

imageWendyK:
    So one of my best friends is a SAHM. She is very sweet but does have a habit of putting in her two cents about women who work, such as "it is not good for a child," etc. I just don't think she realizes what she does.

She absolutely realizes what she does, and it's not "very sweet."  Stay out of it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No I will stay out of it...I feel bad for this poor girl (wm). The SAHM said she was going to go over to their house again today...
  • Options
    imageRoxyLynn:

imageWendyK:
    So one of my best friends is a SAHM. She is very sweet but does have a habit of putting in her two cents about women who work, such as "it is not good for a child," etc. I just don't think she realizes what she does.

She absolutely realizes what she does, and it's not "very sweet."  Stay out of it.

I had actually wanted to comment on this too.  I was friends w/ a woman who was "very sweet" and also had a way of making judgy comments, or cutting comments, and very HURTFUL comments. 

For years, we all were like "Oh- but she doesn't really realize what she's saying".  And she was once even called on a certain set of comments - to which she played the "Oh, but I didn't realize... that's not what I meant"card-

And long story short - now, I know a lot better.  She was a smart girl and knew EXACTLY what she was saying.  But doing the "Sweet" thing fooled people for a long time. 

I agree w/ Roxy- she knows exactly what shes saying.  Which is exactly why I think it would be great for someone to call her on it! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Ditto - she know what she is saying. She is just being a *** who probably has really low self-esteem.  But your WM friend needs to learn to stand up for herself.
  • Options
    I totally agree with everything you gals have said. I just don't get what people think they accomplish with passive aggressive crap.
  • Options
    I have someone in my family who is a "sweet" SAHM to three boys. Two are in school full time, one is a toddler. She repeatedly makes comments to me about how she doesn't have time to work, she is so busy, she has to make dinner every night, she has housework....I think she "forgets" that I work sometimes. I usually listen and then say at the end of her tirade, "Yes, I know that it's hard to juggle everything. I have to do it too." Then I go home and laugh, because she really has no clue of what it means to have to manage your household AND a career and your kids' schedules, your husband's schedule....
  • Options

It appears to me that your WM friend is trying to get rid of having this person in her life. Makes sense to me as a "friend" who has to constantly give their two cents and make you feel like crap is no friend at all.  Tell your sahm friend you have no idea and that she should ask wm friend if she's so concerned about it. It has nothing to do with you.

• Options
    For me, I am the assertive type. I would this as an oppurtunity to put her in her place and let her know her SAH, "holier than thou" attitude is not appreciate. Your friend knows EXACTLY that she is opionated, she just feels that everyone has to accept it... which should not be the case.
  • Options

Ladies I so appreciate your responses. I have chosen myself to distance myself from this individual because of her comments but this poor gal only lives a block from her. I would like to call the wm friend, not say anything about what is going on but just check on her and say hello. She is new to our circle so I think it would go a long way since I am the only wm out of the 10 friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"