Houston Babies
Options

Please rec your potty training book

We're looking at taking the plunge soon and DH wanted to do a little reading first.
Crazy Christmas Kids!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Please rec your potty training book

• Options

This book is super old school.  I found the 70s version on my parents' bookshelf - and I think it has only gotten a new cover since.  There are some really good concepts in it (and some I could do without), so I just took what I liked and left out what I didn't.  I found certain things in this method to be very empowering for the child.  They are encouraged to go to the potty on their own, pull down their own pants, etc.  My DS does not require much help at all to go to the potty, and I think this method helped with that.  I think there is a bit too much practicing after an accident and things like that, so I just did what I liked.  Also, I didn't purchase a doll that wets... we just pretended to train his teddy bear, which he loved.  He was already familiar with going #1 on the potty occasionally, so I figured he didn't need the doll that wets as much as a very young toddler might.

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Training-Less-Than-Day/dp/0671693808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254146484&sr=8-1

• Options

We used a Tinkerbell doll as part of our training.  A friend lent me this little toy potty that was about the size of my hand.  We'd pretend that Tinkerbell needed to go potty and Sarah would put Tink on the potty.  I though it was very effective.

We trained Sarah on the big potty and as a result, she requires very little help now when she goes.  Six months prior we'd used a little seat on top of the big potty as an introduction, but when it came time to do serious potty training, she rejected the seat and insisted she didn't need it.  She was big enough and could balance well and get on and off by herself, so that worked to her advantage also.

The book I turned to for help was The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers.  There's a big section on potty training and I thought it was very encouraging and supportive. 

For Sarah, the children's book Everyone Poops was what made the difference.  That book is awesome and I can't say enough good things about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"