Austin Babies
Options

Hi from a new Momma!! (birth story inside)

Hi ladies!!! Just wanted to jump on and say hi and thanks for all the awesome well wishes yesterday. It was a CRAZY day, but the end result is more amazing than anything I've ever known.

The quick and dirty version of yesterday's events:

Started getting awoken by contractions around 11 p.m. Monday night. By 1:30 I got up and started timing them. Got the Rssn up around 3. The on-call doc said to come on in (contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart and 45 seconds long), but I had this fear of being that woman who goes in only to be in false labor or just having really bad gas, so we hung out at home until 7 a.m. when Seeker's office opened. When I got checked there, I was 4 cm and 70%, so he said it looked like I was staying and having a baby! 

We checked into the hospital by 7:30 a.m. When I was checked at 12:30, I had only progressed to a 5.5 (and 80%), so they broke my water to encourage things to pick up pace. By this point I had already been in labor more than 12 hours. 

At my 3:30 check, I had only moved up to 6 cm (still 80%). Boo.

At 5, I was only at 6.5 (still 80%), so we started me on the lowest pitocin dose to encourage things to move along. 

The next 2.5 hours were a lot more painful than what I had experienced to that point. I still hadn't gotten the epi, and the pit contrax were coming quickly and causing a LOT of pain. I just KNEW that the frequency and intensity of the contrax must mean some serious progress, and at the same time I decided if I weren't at least up to an 8 or 9 cm, I was getting the epi. I didn't want to be so miserable for the rest of my L&D. When I got checked at 7:30, to my shock, I was STILL at 6.5 (had moved to 90% effaced though). In the last seven hours of lard labor, I had only progressed 1 cm.

I welcomed the epi with open arms, knowing that we could manipulate the pitocin amount now to be more agressive with moving labor along.

And then the final blow: my 9:30 p.m. check--no progress at all, despite increasing the pit amount every 30 minutes. So now 9+ hours with only one cm progress. We talked about the pros and cons of continuing labor (it had now been almost 24 hours) vs. the c-section. We went with the c/s.

Alina May was born at 10:35 p.m. She weighed 8 lbs., 1 oz (WAY smaller than predicted!!) and was 20.75 inches long. She has a full head of dark hair. She is the most adorable thing I have ever seen.

Sorry I don't have pics to share--we forgot the transfer cable. I'll be sure to get them up tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the well-wishes yesterday! Ali can't wait to meet all her nestie aunties and playmates!

Dear Bump: You suck.

Re: Hi from a new Momma!! (birth story inside)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"