Baby Names

The name "Kyan" or "Kian"

What do you think of the name Kyan?  My husband picked it because it is of Irish origin, and his family is Irish.  We want to pronounce it "Key-in" NOT "Ky-in" because that sounds too much like Cayenne. 

I think the name is cute & MUCH better than the previous name he'd picked...so just tell me what you think!!  

PS: His middle name will be Michael :)

[Poll]

Re: The name "Kyan" or "Kian"

• I like it, but I'm not sure that it will automatically get pronounced "key-in" though.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Our sons name is Kian pronounced Key-un. Also an Irish name, you can also spell it Cian.
    imageKian & Carys image
  • Loading the player...
  • Before I read your pronounciation, I thought of Cayenne too... and also Cyan the color. I like Key-an as the the name but agree that it may not be the common first reading.

Is there another spelling that would lend to clarity?

Keyan, Kian, Kiyan

My 2 cents.

• Thanks!  He's so cute!!
  • I like it a lot. However, I do not like the spelling.

I could be wrong, but I think If you spell it Kian or Cian, more people will pronounce it correctly. Because Kyan looks like Ryan with a K and so I think most people would assume it rhymes with Ryan.

Anniversary
  • I thought it was pronounced Key-in, but that's because I am familiar with Kian. Go with the Kian spelling. 
  • My first inclination was to pronounce it Ky-an like Cayenne.  I would recommend spelling it Kian if you are looking for it to sound more like Ian.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageMoesten:
    My first inclination was to pronounce it Ky-an like Cayenne.  I would recommend spelling it Kian if you are looking for it to sound more like Ian.

This.

• Cian and Kian rhyme with Ian, Kyan rhymes with Ryan. I like the name itself not spelled with a y though.
  • Like PPs have said, I like the name, but not the spelling. ?I had a student last year who spelled it Kean. ?I understand that this could be pronounced as "keen", but it's just another suggestion...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love it! We are considering Kian for our son.?
  • As a pure irish gal.. I love Kian.. with the I not the Y :-). your should consider irish dance lessons for your LO :-)
  • Spelled with a "y" it is not going to be said the way you want.  It will be pronounced to rhyme with Ryan.

• I pronounced it Key-on, but that's because we have the same name in our culture, just pronounced differently. Either way, I like the name. Smile

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Kian or Cian better.  Kyan will get pronounced "Kie-an".
    My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kian will get pronounced like Ryan just as much as Kyan.  There is just no way that, upon first glance, that Kian/Kyan will be pronounced like key en because phonics doesn't work that way.

• I think you should spell it Kian or Cian if you want it pronounced properly. Most people would (understandably) read Kyan as rhyming w/ Ryan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't vote because I like it but when it sounds like Ryan. No one will ever say Key-an first try.?
  • My five-year old daughter is named Kyan. 

We first heard it because of Kyan Douglas, the hairdresser from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but thought it was gender-neutral enough to use for a girl.

With the y spelling, it's automatically pronounced like Ryan.

Since she's a girl, if people hear it before they see it, some assume it's spelled Cayenne, which is kind of annoying, but not a deal breaker.  It actually helps us know who's hip enough to hear the difference.  (Tackier people always go to Cayenne or Cheyenne first... don't know quite why?)

If you want the Kee-uhn pronunciation, I would not use a y.  People pronouce a 'y' in the middle of a word like an 'i'.

Good luck figuring it out.  It's a fun name, and we're happy with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"