Georgia Babies
Options

job delimma, advice pls a little long...

I mentioned last week that I would be looking for a new job due to the impending danger of my job being cut. Last week we had a staff meeting, and though it doesn't look like our jobs will be cut anytime soon, there is still not an option to get full-time hours. Right now, that is what my family needs. My husband is an entreprenuer in the field of capital consulting and real estate, so his income has basically dwindled to maybe 15-20% of where it was two years ago, and he was the main breadwinner. 

In the field of work I am in, I am blessed there are still a few folks hiring. Here is my delimma: I got a call last week from a company that has a newly created position doing exactly what I want to do. The HUGH drawback- anywhere from 50-70% travel. The recruiter was very cool about it- he actually told me to think about it over the weekend, chat with my husband, and then call him today and let him know if I was still interested.

Pre-pregnancy me immediately got excited (new projects!! just my thing), but new mommy me just felt sick (not literally, but you now what I mean...). This could potentially be a really great opportunity for me, it would allow me to move up in my field, working more in a mgt position instead of a worker bee. But the travel thing makes my heart hurt. I'm only 6 weeks pregnant, but I'm worried about travel during the icky parts of pregnancy, will the travel hurt the baby, after I have the baby, being away from him/her.

So my question is: Do you think I should even take the time to interview? The job is a newly created position, so I'm sure there is flexibility in how it actually works. But I don't want to get my hopes up, or my husband's,  but it sounds like a great opportunity, and having some $$ for change would be nice.

TIA

BFP #1 on 8/19/09 M/C 10/14/09
BFP #2 01/10/10 M/C 01/31/10
BFP #3 12/24/10 M/C 01/20/11
BFP#4 07/18/11 EDD: 03/24/12
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: job delimma, advice pls a little long...

• Options
    I used to be a consultant and traveled all.the.time.  It's terrible as a single person, and I honestly can't imagine doing it with a child.  If your DH has a super flexible schedule and is very very very supportive, it could work, but it would  still be incredibly hard with an infant.  Sorry for being so blunt.
  • Options

Oh gosh, I think it will incredibly difficult to travel that much as a new mom.  However, if your family needs the money, and your DH can be super-flexible and supportive, then perhaps y'all can make it work.  Good luck making your decision!

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Both DH and I used to travel full time when we were single.  We both suffered for about 5 years.  It was fun for awhile, but it gets old very quickly.  DH still is traveling most weeks (hence the reason we are trying to move to Dallas).   He hates it.  Loves his job, but hates being away from home and the hassles of the airport every week. Travel also can be exhausting, which is something you'll need to consider since you are pregnant.

We are struggling with the idea of having him travel once the baby comes and I would be a SAHM(oh if our house would just sell).  I can't imagine me traveling after having the baby and him working as well.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Blunt me chiming in.  I could never imagine leaving my son.  After you have your baby you get so weird (for lack of better words).  The attachment is crazy.  I just don't know how you would be able to handle it for 50-70% of time.  I know I couldnt.  I miss my child for the few hours we are apart during the day.  Plus if you are planning to nurse that is another thing to think about. 
  • Options
    No way.  I was a consultant and traveled all week, everu week until halfway thru my pregnancy w/DS #1.  I could never go back....you'd miss so much.  To me, it's not worth it.  Career has taken a backseat to family.
  • Options
    Like the others, I would have to say no.  Heck, I struggle with leaving my kid in daycare 5 days a week and only getting to spend 3 hours of awake time with him.  To not even be able to have that 50-70% of the time... no way.  I would keep looking.

• Options
    I would have to agree with the others.  If I have to work late two nights in a row and I don't get to see DS, I become an emotional wreck.  And I never imagined I would be that way before having him.  If it's a matter of being able to pay bills versus go in debt, then that's one thing, but other than that, I wouldn't consider it.  Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one.
  • Options
    Have you traveled for work before?  My travel time was about 50% when I was single and that was really hard, and I can't imagine doing that as a mom.  It would be a deal breaker - sorry.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Um, I am still trying to work up the nerve to spend the night away for ONE night and P is over 13 months.  DH travels and it is AWFUL on our family.  We miss him SO MUCH and I really appreciate when he is home with us.  Traveling is rarely as fun and glamorous as its chalked up to be.
  • Options

Thanks, ladies. My gut reaction (after that initial excitement) was "I can't imagine being away from my husband or baby".

I have traveled for work before when I was single, and it was hard even then b/c I was just dating DH at the time and wanted to spend all my time with him. 

I wish this economy would get it together!! Thanks for the insight, ladies. My job search continues on...

BFP #1 on 8/19/09 M/C 10/14/09
    BFP #2 01/10/10 M/C 01/31/10
    BFP #3 12/24/10 M/C 01/20/11
    BFP#4 07/18/11 EDD: 03/24/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If it were me, I would look elsewhere.  I agree with the others, I would never want to travel that much.  Even when working and only getting a few hours with  my son, I have only missed putting him to bed a handful of times so far.  It's just that important to me and a special time with him.  It breaks my heart to work during the day and not be with him as it is.  I constantly feel like I'm missing time with him that I can never get back and would never miss more than I have to.  I also know I wouldn't want to travel pregnant and be away from my DH that much when pregnant (or anytime really).
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not only would I not want to travel just like all the other posters said, but think about this: most places you have to one there at least a full 12 months before you are eligible to be protected with FMLA leave so since you are 6 weeks pregnant I'd stay put where you are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"