Cincinnati Babies
Options

Back to the CDing questions again...

Okay, I know this is EXTREMELY broad and all, but I thought I'd get clear answers here, and it might help narrow my research.

I'm considering using cloth diapers at least part time, since Brady will be going to a sitter once I go back to work.  I know it'll save us a lot of money, and I am having a hard time with the environmental issue with disposables.

I know absolutely nothing about cloth diapers.  What "equipment" do I need to buy?  How does it work?  Are there any websites that explain it simply and clearly?  How many of each piece is reasonable for someone who's going to do this part time, and what's the best way to get my money's worth on something that will last (and that I can hopefully use with another child down the line)?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am realizing I should have looked into this before he was born, and I want to find out as much as I can pretty quickly.  Any info you can give me is much appreciated!

Brady 7/29/2009 Avery 4/1/2011

Re: Back to the CDing questions again...

• Options

Try these websites for general resources:

Diaper Hyena
    Diaper Jungle

Pinstripes and Polka Dots
    Cloth Diaper Blog

As far as "equipment," you don't really need anything but the diapers and a good diaper pail. There are all kinds of fancy accessories, like wetbags for CDing out of the house and diaper sprayers. I do have a wetbag because we CD when we're out and about. If you're planning on doing that you'll also want a diaper bag that's on the larger side, as CDs tend to be much bulkier than disposables.

I would HIGHLY recommend the trial package that Jillian's Drawers offers. Each baby (and family, for that matter) is unique, and what works for one baby might not work for another. The trial package is a great way to get your hands on a few different types of diapers and see which ones work with your baby and your lifestyle. The type of diaper you go with might also dictate how many of them you'll need. Another thing to consider is the age of your baby and how often you're willing to do laundry.

The financial savings can easily be wiped out by getting into the very cute but very pricey CD options. Some women initially start out CDing to save $$ but end up spending a lot more than they would have because they get so caught up in buying cute patterns. Prefolds are hands-down the best bet from a financial standpoint, but they all have their pros and cons.

I posted a review of the Jillian's trial package and some information on all of the diapers that I tried on my blog.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options

Hi, there. 

Park & Vine, located downtown, is having a cloth diapering class on September 6th. 

https://www.parkandvine.com/?page_id=153

Also, Jillian's Drawers is great.  They have some great information here:

https://www.jilliansdrawers.com/newtocloth

I've also called and emailed questions and they are just fabulous.  Very informative, very quick to respond (if emailed).  I just can't say enough great things about this shop.

Hope this helps.

ETA - I also found this website helpful.
    https://babyrabies.com/category/cloth-diapers/

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My suggestion is to read everything you can find.  Those links are all super informative. You really just need some good diapers, a pail, a wetbag for your diaper bag, and a washer/dryer.  I also read a lot on The Eco Friendly Family Board here on the Bump.  There are lots of helpful posters over there.  I also highly suggest the Jillians trial before you buy many of a certain diaper.  You will get a good feel for what works for you from that trial.

ETA:  I did not even consider Cding until DD was 10 months old, so you are way ahead of me.  I wish I had started it sooner.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't start CDing until DD was a year, and I wish I had started earlier. I did the Jillian's Drawers trial and loved it. DD is in Fuzzi Bunz and I like them a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"